Re: [Fecframe] About the Generic Explicit Source FEC Payload ID

"Ali C. Begen (abegen)" <abegen@cisco.com> Thu, 17 February 2011 15:50 UTC

Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 07:50:36 -0800
From: "Ali C. Begen (abegen)" <abegen@cisco.com>
To: Abhishek ANAND <abhishek.anand-ext@st.com>, fecframe@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Fecframe] About the Generic Explicit Source FEC Payload ID

Like figure 1 in https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc5956/?include_text=1 ?

> One such scenario is using Layer Aware FEC for protecting layered streams such as H.264 SVC/MVC (
> http://www.hhi.fraunhofer.de/en/departments/image-processing/image-communication/multimedia-transmission/layer-
> aware-forward-error-correction-l-fec/ ). There could be other such use cases as well.
>
> In such cases even when the Source Packet flows are RTP flows we must add Source Packet Payload IDs. In addition we can
> not use the Generic Explicit Source FEC Payload ID as it is described in Section 5.3.1 of the FEC Framework Draft because the
> position of a Source Packet in the Source Block will not be unique across all FEC Schemes.

Sorry, I don't understand this. The place of a source packet is derived from the information put in the repair packets, not source packets.

It should be sufficient to have the source packets seqnum'ed. And RTP satisfies that requirement nicely.

> Another observation regarding the Generic Explicit Source FEC Payload ID, since it does not contain the Source Block Number
> and relies solely on consecutive sequence numbers it seems that the corresponding Repair FEC Payload IDs must also use the
> Initial Sequence Number of each Source Block instead of the Source Block Number.

The generic field cannot carry the source block number as you said block sizes can and will vary among fecframe instances. And source block number is something used by the decoder but it is derived from the seqnum and base seqnum of a block (i.e., its value is not really used in an absolute fashion).

I am not sure whether you saw something in the text that said otherwise.

-acbegen