Re: [Fecframe] Operations and Management Considerations (text for theframework)

David R Oran <oran@cisco.com> Mon, 17 January 2011 21:31 UTC

From: David R Oran <oran@cisco.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 16:34:16 -0500
To: David Harrington <ietfdbh@comcast.net>
Cc: fecframe@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Fecframe] Operations and Management Considerations (text for theframework)

Thanks for getting back to me on this. I think we're converging (somewhat), or at least talking about the same things.

On Jan 17, 2011, at 4:06 PM, David Harrington wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I agree that it may make more sense to focus on the interoperability
> of specific fec schemes and features.
>
> The framework ops+mgmt considerations should SAY that, and should set
> the requirement that framework-compliant components MUST specify
> mandatory-to-implement protocols for config and monitoring, so
> independently developed implementations have at least one protocol
> available for operators to deploy to provide interoperable operations
> and interoperable management for each chosen fec scheme.

This seems a reasonable principle to follow. The devil is in the details, especially in how the config and management for the overall system(s) interact with the FEC-specific pieces. See below for more.

> Of course, if each scheme chooses a different mandatory-to-implement
> protocol, then an entity that supports multiple fec schemes might end
> up with a panoply of mandatory-to-implement protocols for config and
> monitoring, so it might make more sense to have at least one
> mandatory-to-implement protocol at the framework level, to ensure a
> minimum level of interoperability for config and monitoring.

If FEC schemes were "top-of-the-foodchain" kinds of protocol, like TCP, or RTP, or SIP, then following this rule would in fact help a lot in ensuring system-level interoperability for the operations and management components of making the protocol work and instrumenting it. Unfortunately (or perhaps in my view fortunately), that's not the case here. FEC schemes are pretty much without exception *embedded* in a "top-of-the-food-chain" protocol like RTP, or reliable multicast file transfer. That means one REALLY wants the operations and management protocols and instrumentation framework to be dictated by the embedding and not by the FEC scheme. In fact, I would consider it undesirable if we picked and mandatory-to-implement config/management protocol (e.g. SDP) for an FEC scheme, and then embedded it in a different "top-of-the-food-chain" system that has no need of SDP for anything. This is not entirely theoretical; we already have FEC schemes in use by other SDOs that use multicast file transfer and XML to describe and manage the protocols with which which the FEC scheme is based. It makes much more sense to ensure that the necessary configuration and instrumentation information is present in those protocols, than to declare the implementation non-compliant in the IETF because the implementer didn't (uselessly) put SDP in the system.

Therefore, I still maintain that:
- There isn't a lot to say in the framework draft, and find your suggestion to limit language in that draft to saying that the operations and management of FEC is "scheme specific" and that the scheme RFCs MUST address O&M with the appropriate O&M considerations section.
- if you at all buy my logic above, then it is not appropriate to require "mandatory to implement" protocols in the scheme drafts; rather, the requirement is for enough specific information about configuration and instrumentation to give implementors guidance about what changes/enhancements may be needed to the protocols used in the "enclosing" protocol environment.

> The approach so far taken by this WG seems to be "let's just declare
> it out of scope" - i.e., have no standard mechanisms for configuring
> or monitoring FEC operations or specific FEC schemes.
That's a correct assessment of the WG's general approach, but I do not view that criticism as necessarily all that serious given the nature of the work.

> As far as I can
> see, that means that if vendor A's server wants to use fec protection
> for something it is sending to a client from vendor B, and vendor A
> chooses one protocol for config, such as SDP, and vendor B chooses not
> to support the same protocol, then the two endpoints cannot
> communicate to agree on a configuration. That would be a pretty sad
> situation for an IETF standard.

Not as sad as having an FEC scheme used with both RTP and with Reliable file transfer being forced to add a lot of useless complexity and introduce new interoperability problems for the system they are embedded in because the two systems for good reason use different configuration and management protocols.

I'm of course encouraged by the discussion, which has shed some light on the underlying issues. I think that at least at this point we are not in agreement about the right way forward, but hopefully this has helped make some progress.

DaveO.