Re: [Forces-protocol] Issue 0: Application addressing

Alex Audu <alex.audu@alcatel.com> Wed, 10 March 2004 19:47 UTC

From: Alex Audu <alex.audu@alcatel.com>
To: hadi@znyx.com
CC: "Khosravi, Hormuzd M" <hormuzd.m.khosravi@intel.com>, forces-protocol@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Forces-protocol] Issue 0: Application addressing
Sender: forces-protocol-admin@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 13:43:00 -0600

Jamal,

It seems you are proposing a way to address components all the way to
process level?
Hmm..  Here are some problems I see with that:
1)  The number of proceses running in an FE and the corresponding
Process IDs are
      are arbitrally  assigned by the native OS on that FE.  Thus, FEA
from vendor A and
      FEB from vendor B providing the same capabilities will most
probably have entirely
      different process ID maps while running. If your CE wants to
address common LFBs
      in these FEs, which processID are you going to use in your header?

2)  ProcessIDs are very low level identifiers. They probably map to
certain ports, and
      based on the implementation , you can have more than process map
onto the same
      port ID.  This complicates the scenario even further.

So,..why are we wasting all the bandwidth talking about addressing
processes?  It  really
has no value. Let the OS resolve what process gets what message.

Regards,
Alex.