Re: URI for XML schema and namespace wasRe: urn was Re: Model draft

"Joel M. Halpern" <joel@stevecrocker.com> Mon, 07 January 2008 22:46 UTC

Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 17:46:55 -0500
From: "Joel M. Halpern" <joel@stevecrocker.com>
Subject: Re: URI for XML schema and namespace wasRe: urn was Re: Model draft

As I read this, if we had a stable URL that actually could point to the
schema, that would be better.
But since the proposed URL does not actually point anywhere, we should
not use a non-resolvable URL.

So I will change it to a URN.  (Grudingly, because the conversation
seems to say that over all the IETF is doing the wrong thing.)

Joel

tom.petch wrote:
> I said I would raise the question of what to use to name a namespace on the Apps
> Discuss list and I did, under the Subject above.  The discussion was most
> interesting with perhaps the most significant view being that of Chris Newman,
> as follows
> Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2008 15:46:02 -0800
> From: Chris Newman <Chris.Newman@Sun.COM>
>
> As Applications Area Director, I'm not aware of anyone ever asking for that.
>
> I'm holding a discuss position on:
>    draft-narten-iana-considerations-rfc2434bis-08
> because the present text forbids use of IANA URLs and I consider that an
> unacceptable new restriction for IANA considerations.
>
> Current IETF practice discourages use of IANA URLs in IETF specifications.
> However, we have one case, RFC 4790, where stable iana.org http URLs are
> provided to registry elements and that was done with IANA's permission.  In that
> case, the registry was created to be useful to both the IETF and the W3C. The
> stable http URLs make the W3C happier so it was worth doing that way.
>
> I would support a similar approach for iana.org http XML namespaces if someone
> spent the time to write up the rules and get IANA's consent.
>
> Using an ietf.org http URIs for XML namespaces is a bad idea.  The IETF has
> deliberately kept the registry function for our standards separate and I
> consider that a feature.  Also, ietf.org is operated by the Secretariat
> function so using that domain for registrations would require additional (and
> more expensive) coordination than iana.org.  It _might_ be feasible to set up a
> redirect from ietf.org to iana.org for XML namespaces, but I worry that's just
> one additional level of complexity where things could break (especially if we
> transition the secretariat function between vendors periodically as we're in the
> process of doing now).
>
> To summarize the options:
> 1. URNs for XML namespaces -- present IETF common practice
> 2. non-IETF http URLs for XML namespaces -- acceptable
> 3. iana.org http URLs for XML namespaces -- nobody has tried this, seems
> feasible to me.
> 4. ietf.org http URLs for XML namespaces -- nobody has tried this.  I think it's
> a bad idea.
>
>                 - Chris
>
> David Harrington wrote on 1/4/08 11:47 -0500:
>
>> Has anybody fashioned an explicit proposal for the establishment of
>> permanent IETF URIs?

> Points to emerge were that whatever is used should be persistent and stable.  I
> also note this exchange between Scott Hollenbeck and Julian Reschke.

>>> 3470.  The use of URNs for namespaces is offered there as a fallback