Draft ForCES Meeting Minutes, IETF 55

"Putzolu, David" <david.putzolu@intel.com> Sun, 08 December 2002 03:45 UTC

Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2002 19:45:13 -0800
From: "Putzolu, David" <david.putzolu@intel.com>
Subject: Draft ForCES Meeting Minutes, IETF 55

All,

Please find below the draft minutes for the ForCES
meeting at IETF 55.  Please send any corrections or
comments to the list or to myself or Patrick by
Thursday, Dec 12.

Cheers,
David

--- cut here ---

Forwarding and Control Element Separation (forces)

Monday, November 18 at 0900-1130
==================================

CHAIRS: Patrick Droz <dro@zurich.ibm.com>
        David Putzolu <david.putzolu@intel.com>

Scribe: George Jones <george@uu.net>

Agenda bashing: nothing changed

Completed Last Calls

  draft-ietf-forces-framework-03.txt
  draft-ietf-forces-requirements-07.txt
  draft-ietf-forces-netlink-03.txt

Discussion of draft-ietf-yang-model-01

  - authors, history presented
  - motivation
    FE == Forwarding Element
    CE == Control Element
    * FE tells CE capabilities
    * FE tells CE current config
    * CE tells FE desired state
  - what is in the model
    * FE block (abstract base class)
    * Block library (Forwarding, QoS, filters, etc.)
    * Example FE Blocks
    * FE stage and directed graph
    * Two approaches in graph modeling
    * Topological (DiffServ)
      + No info carried forward
    * Topological (DiffServ) vs. Encoded State (QDDIM model)
      + Explicit info (preamble) carried forward to subsequent
        stages
  - open issues
    * Data modeling language: representation
      + SMI/SPPI/ASN.1/XML/UML ?
    * Topological vs. Encoded State approach
    * Modeling of actual functions
      + identify minimal categories/set of functions
      + model for each one
  - next steps
    * WG document
    * Data modeling language
    * define small set of functions

Q: Is your intent to specify the way that the FE and CE
   communicate ?  If so, it's very important to get right.