Re: [forces] I-D Action: draft-djjhs-forces-lfbstate-00.txt

"Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com> Sun, 14 October 2012 16:42 UTC

Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2012 12:42:09 -0400
From: "Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com>
To: Jamal Hadi Salim <hadi@mojatatu.com>
Cc: forces <forces@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [forces] I-D Action: draft-djjhs-forces-lfbstate-00.txt

The issue of a non-modifiabe topology requires some though.  In my
experiece, one usually can't turn individual LFBs on and off in such
setup.  Rather, with non-modifiable topologies the input ports tot eh FE
sre rutnred off, the whole set of LFBs is configured, and then the input
ports are turned on.

My big problem with turning off an LFB is that it is completely unclear
whatit means for the packet flow.  What are we telling an upstream LFB
to do when the downstream LFB is disabled?  Drop the packet?  Or is the
CE supposed to assume that disabled LFBs are transparent?  Both choices
can produce extremely improper behavior.

Put differently, it is not at all clear to we that a instantiated,
connected, LFB can be meaningfully and safely disabled.

Yours,
Joel