Re: [gaia] draft-irtf-gaia-alternative-network-deployments. Mitar review, question #8: Mesh routing protocols

"Jose Saldana" <jsaldana@unizar.es> Thu, 14 April 2016 14:39 UTC

From: Jose Saldana <jsaldana@unizar.es>
To: 'Mitar' <mmitar@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2016 16:38:55 +0200
Cc: 'gaia' <gaia@irtf.org>
Subject: Re: [gaia] draft-irtf-gaia-alternative-network-deployments. Mitar review, question #8: Mesh routing protocols

Thanks a lot!

I have added your new references and rebuilt the text. I have put the reference to [Neuman_b] in the last paragraph, as it talks about Babel.

I have added a reference to a paper about BATMAN advanced. Its first reference points to http://www.open-mesh.org/:

D. Seither, A. König and M. Hollick, "Routing performance of Wireless Mesh Networks: A practical evaluation of BATMAN advanced," Local Computer Networks (LCN), 2011 IEEE 36th Conference on, Bonn, 2011, pp. 897-904.
doi: 10.1109/LCN.2011.6115569

7.1.2.2.  Mesh routing protocols

   A large number of Alternative Networks use customized versions of the
   Optimized Link State Routing Protocol (OLSR) [RFC3626].  The
   [olsr.org] open source project has extended the protocol with the
   Expected Transmission Count metric (ETX) [Couto] and other features,
   for its use in Alternative Networks, especially wireless ones.  A new
   version of the protocol, named OLSRv2 [RFC7188] is becoming used in
   some community networks [Barz].

   B.A.T.M.A.N.  Advanced [Seither] is a layer-2 routing protocol, which
   creates a bridged network and allows seamless roaming of clients
   between wireless nodes.

   Some networks also run the BMX6 protocol [Neumann_a], which is based
   on IPv6 and tries to exploit the social structure of Alternative
   Networks.

   Babel [RFC6126] is a layer-3 loop-avoiding distance-vector routing
   protocol that is robust and efficient both in wired and wireless mesh
   networks.

   In [Neumann_b] a study of three proactive mesh routing protocols
   (BMX6, OLSR, and Babel) is presented, in terms of scalability,
   performance, and stability.

   [Barz]     Barz, C., Fuchs, C., Kirchhoff, J., Niewiejska, J., and H.
              Rogge, "OLSRv2 for Community Networks", Comput. Netw. 93,
              P2 (December 2015),
              324-341 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.comnet.2015.09.022,
              2015.

   [Couto]    De Couto, D., Aguayo, D., Bicket, J., and R. Morris, "A
              high-throughput path metric for multi-hop wireless
              routing", Wireless Networks, 11(4), 419-434 , 2005.

   [Neumann_a]
              Neumann, A., Lopez, E., and L. Navarro, "An evaluation of
              bmx6 for community wireless networks", In Wireless and
              Mobile Computing, Networking and Communications (WiMob),
              2012 IEEE 8th International Conference on (pp. 651-658).
              IEEE. , 2012.

   [Neumann_b]
              Neumann, A., Lopez, E., and L. Navarro, "Evaluation of
              mesh routing protocols for wireless community networks",
              Computer Networks, Volume 93, Part 2, 24 December 2015,
              Pages 308-323 ISSN 1389-1286,
              http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.comnet.2015.07.018, 2015.
   [Seither]  Seither, D., Koenig, A., and M. Hollick, "Routing
              performance of Wireless Mesh Networks: A practical
              evaluation of BATMAN advanced", Local Computer Networks
              (LCN), 2011 IEEE 36th Conference on, Bonn, 2011, pp.
              897-904. doi: 10.1109/LCN.2011.6115569, 2011.

> Comparison of performance and stability of routing protocols is an ongoing process
> and many routing protocols participate in regular event to compare, test, and cross-
> pollinate implementations at the yearly Battlemesh event (http://battlemesh.org/).

I think this last paragraph does not fit into the document. This is an activity around routing protocols for CNs, which is IMHO out of scope of the document.

> Mitar
>
> --
> http://mitar.tnode.com/
> https://twitter.com/mitar_m