Re: [gaia] Difference between FON and a "manyfolks CommunityNetwork"

"Trossen, Dirk" <Dirk.Trossen@InterDigital.com> Fri, 20 June 2014 07:14 UTC

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2014 03:14:16 -0400
From: "Trossen, Dirk" <Dirk.Trossen@InterDigital.com>
To: Arjuna Sathiaseelan <arjuna.sathiaseelan@cl.cam.ac.uk>, Rohan Mahy <rohan.mahy@gmail.com>
Cc: gaia <gaia@irtf.org>
Subject: Re: [gaia] Difference between FON and a "manyfolks CommunityNetwork"

...to me as a person entering the 'coverage' of a FON hotspot, I gain
connectivity where I don't have any otherwise. If I have FON enabled
myself, I don't even pay for access. It's an odd of separation. I think
we ought to tease out the technological approaches being used throughout
the various examples and separately tease out the operational/economic
models placed on top of it. Only then (if at all) would I start with
'name calling' (e.g., user extensible, community network, ...).

Dirk