Re: [Gen-art] Review of draft-mohali-dispatch-cause-for-service-number-12

"Ben Campbell" <ben@nostrum.com> Fri, 16 December 2016 04:28 UTC

From: Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com>
To: Joel Halpern <jmh@joelhalpern.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2016 22:28:53 -0600
Cc: gen-art@ietf.org, dispatch@ietf.org, ietf@ietf.org, draft-mohali-dispatch-cause-for-service-number.all@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Gen-art] Review of draft-mohali-dispatch-cause-for-service-number-12

Hi Joel,

Thanks for the comments. There has been a fair amount of discussion
about the status of the draft. The situation is clearly not optimal, and
I welcome input on how to straighten it out.

The rational so far has been that this draft updates RFC 4588, which is
informational. It adds some additional values and related semantics for
the "cause" parameter from 4588. It does not register new parameters;
rather it adds itself as a reference in the existing "cause"
registration. This is mainly a courtesy to readers. (There is no
sub-registry for "cause" parameter values.) We might could get by
without that change, since in a perfect world people following the IANA
reference to 4588 would notice the "Updated by..." tag.

The gotcha is that RFC 4588 would not be possible as an informational
today; it would not have standing to register the "cause" parameter. But
at the time it was published, there was a lack of clarity around the
"standards action" policy for the SIP URI parameters registry. Making
the new values from _this_ draft standards track, when the parameter
itself is not, doesn't seem appropriate. We had some discussion about
whether we should promote 4588 to PS, but there was not consensus to do
so when it was published, and I don't see reason to expect that to have
changed.

This draft is primarily intended to meet a need in 3GPP, where I
understand they are effectively already doing this. Would it help to
more tightly scope this as "Here's something 3GPP is doing..." rather
than as a general mechanism?

Thanks!

Ben.