Re: [Gen-art] Gen-ART review of draft-carpenter-renum-needs-work-03

"Vijay K. Gurbani" <vkg@alcatel-lucent.com> Wed, 14 October 2009 13:53 UTC

Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 08:53:02 -0500
From: "Vijay K. Gurbani" <vkg@alcatel-lucent.com>
To: Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>
Cc: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <dromasca@avaya.com>, gen-art@ietf.org, "Flinck, Hannu" <hannu.flinck@nsn.com>, RJ Atkinson <ran.atkinson@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Gen-art] Gen-ART review of draft-carpenter-renum-needs-work-03

Brian: Please see inline.

Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>> Minor Issues:
>> 1) S1, last paragraph: I am not sure I understand the following:
>>
>>      Even when an address is leased for a finite time by DHCP
>>      or SLAAC, or when it is derived from a DNS record with a
>>      finite time to live, this information is lost once the
>>      address has been passed to an upper layer by the socket
>>      interface.
>>
>> I am sure I am missing something here, but why is this
>> information considered lost once it has been passed to
>> the upper layer by the socket interface?  [...]
>
> As far as I know, neither gethostbyname() nor getaddressinfo()
> returns the remaining TTL of the address(es) supplied. So the
> application has no way to expire an address.

Ah ... OK, I see where the disconnect is.  When I read your
original text:

    Even when an address is leased for a finite time by DHCP
    or SLAAC, or when it is derived from a DNS record with a
    finite time to live, this information is lost once the
    address has been passed to an upper layer by the socket
    interface.

I interpreted the "this" in the phrase "this information is
lost once ..." to be the IP address itself, not the TTL.

So, a simple edit is to s/this information/the time to live information/

> Because the ordinary Java application programmer has a much simpler
> interface than BSD sockets, which accepts names as the primary
> handle. Java is only an example and we should make that clearer.

OK.

>> Is this still true if a server process is bound to INADDR_ANY?
>> I guess this will depend on the specific implementation of
[...]
> Yes, we'd probably better s/will likely/might/ to be sure the
> statement is accurate.

OK.

>> Nits/editorial comments:
>>
>> 1) S5.1.4, top of page 15, fourth line -- is it "ever exposed"
>>  or "never exposed"?
>
> I think our intention would be clearer if we wrote
>
>    It is highly
>    unfortunate that network layer addresses are usually exposed to
>    application sessions.

OK.

Thanks,

- vijay
--
Vijay K. Gurbani, Bell Laboratories, Alcatel-Lucent
1960 Lucent Lane, Rm. 9C-533, Naperville, Illinois 60566 (USA)