[Gen-art] RE: Gen-ART Last Call Review of draft-edwards-urn-smpte-01.txt

"Thomas Edwards" <tedwards@pbs.org> Mon, 04 June 2007 06:38 UTC

Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2007 15:57:10 -0400
From: Thomas Edwards <tedwards@pbs.org>
To: "Eric Gray (LO/EUS)" <eric.gray@ericsson.com>
Cc: gen-art@ietf.org, Chris Newman <chris.newman@sun.com>
Subject: [Gen-art] RE: Gen-ART Last Call Review of draft-edwards-urn-smpte-01.txt

Eric,

Thank you very much for your review of draft-edwards-urn-smpte-01!

You mentioned concern about the reference for the statement: "There are
no additional security considerations other than those normally
associated with the use and resolution of URNs in general."

This statement is present in the Security Considerations sections of the
following URN registrations RFCs:

RFC 3043, RFC 3121, RFC 3151, RFC 3541, RFC 3614, RFC 3937, RFC 4179,
RFC 4198, RFC 4688, RFC 4854

Unfortunately, none of these RFCs have references to the particular
security considerations "normally associated with the use and resolution
of URNs in general."

While I could pull this language from this I-D, I am concerned about
removing security language which appears to have been accepted by the
IETF in 10 RFCs.  I would like to seek Gen-ART's opinion on this issue.

With regard to the comment about "Participation in these Committees is
open to all with a bona fide interest in their work," this text is
sourced from a SMPTE document, thus I would prefer to keep it as it
stands, but if Gen-ART can document the grammatical concern on this
issue I could bring it up with SMPTE staff.

Thomas Edwards
tedwards@pbs.org
Senior Manager, Interconnection Engineering
PBS
6453 Stephenson Way
Alexandria, VA 22312
(703) 739-5270