[Gen-art] RE: Gen-ART Review of draft-ietf-dnsext-tsig-sha-05.txt

Ólafur Guðmundsson /DNSEXT co-chair <ogud@ogud.com> Tue, 13 December 2005 04:58 UTC

Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 23:27:54 -0500
To: Eastlake III Donald-LDE008 <Donald.Eastlake@motorola.com>, Elwyn Davies <elwynd@dial.pipex.com>
From: Ólafur Guðmundsson /DNSEXT co-chair <ogud@ogud.com>
Cc: Olaf Kolkman <olaf@nlnetlabs.nl>, margaret wasserman <margaret@thingmagic.com>, gen-art@ietf.org, Donald Eastlake III <dee3@pothole.com>, Olafur Gudmundsson <ogud@ogud.com>
Subject: [Gen-art] RE: Gen-ART Review of draft-ietf-dnsext-tsig-sha-05.txt
Sender: gen-art-bounces@ietf.org

At 16:09 12/12/2005, Eastlake III Donald-LDE008 wrote:
>Well, actually there is a "bad algorithm" error code, defined in RFC
>3930 in connection with the TKEY RR. However, to require its return
>by a server when that server receives a query with a TSIG specifying
>an algorithm that is not implemented or not allowed by that server
>would be a change to RFC 2845. 2845 specifies that a response to a
>query where the algorithm name is bad be, at the DNS header RCODE
>level, the RCODE NOTAUTH, and at the enclosed TSIG RR error code
>level, the error code BADKEY or BADSIG. It seems to me that it would
>be reasonable to add BADALG to that list and specify that it be
>returned under these circumstances. Given that this is effectively a
>"sub code" under the overall NOTAUTH error, it seems unlikely to do
>much harm to a resolver which is surprised by getting it.
>Nevertheless, this seems like something which, at a minimum, should
>be discussed on the DNSEXT mailing list to obtain further opinions
>as well as feedback by implementers of deployed TSIG co!
>  de.
>
>Olafur/Olaf: OK if I bring this idea up there?

Adding new error codes is a big change, as I said before most implementations
took the same approach as we did in DNSSEC, each key is tied to one
algorithm. If we add BADALG then we should consider at the same time to
uncouple the hash algorithm from the secret. But it is going to much more
productive to push on getting automated TKEY exchanges to create shorter
lived TSIG keys.

         We need TSIG/SHA yesterday, so please no changes.

         Olafur (TSIG co-inventor at IETF-36)

PS: I was to propose a change to this document it would be to remove SHA1
from it.