[Gen-art] RE: Gen-ART review of draft-hollenbeck-epp-rfc3734bis-04.txt

Black_David@emc.com Fri, 24 November 2006 17:55 UTC

From: Black_David@emc.com
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 12:55:03 -0500
To: shollenbeck@verisign.com, gen-art@ietf.org
Cc: hardie@qualcomm.com, Black_David@emc.com
Subject: [Gen-art] RE: Gen-ART review of draft-hollenbeck-epp-rfc3734bis-04.txt

Scott,

> I need to confirm Ted's reaction before doing anything with
> this review.

That's a fine response, as the review says:

> > Please wait for direction from your document shepherd
> > or AD before posting a new version of the draft.

With regards to timing:

> The last call period ended on 11 November and I've already
> updated the documents to reflect comments received as a result
> of the last call.

This is not a GenART IETF Last Call review.  Usually, GenART
tries to provide an IETF Last Call review, but that doesn't
appear to have happened for this draft.  The GenART reviewers
are human, and "stuff" happens ;-).

This GenART review is intended as input to the position that the
General Area Director will take on the IESG ballot for approval
of the draft, and FWIW, the General AD doesn't always agree 100%
with his reviewers ;-).  If knowing what that ballot position
will be matters, Ted should follow up directly with Brian to
understand Brian's view of these comments.

FWIW, I would hope that one of the Security ADs would point out
the existence of TLS 1.1, in addition to this input to the
General AD.  My understanding is that the primary purpose of
TLS 1.1 was to prevent some attacks on the CBC usage in TLS
1.0, and hence there's a preference for implementations to
move to TLS 1.1 as quickly as reasonably possible.

Thanks,
--David