Re: [Gen-art] Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-behave-64-analysis-06

<david.black@emc.com> Wed, 29 February 2012 14:47 UTC

From: david.black@emc.com
To: mohamed.boucadair@orange.com, rpenno@juniper.net, tasaxena@cisco.com, ssenthil@cisco.com, gen-art@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 09:46:30 -0500
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: dthaler@microsoft.com, dwing@cisco.com, Martin.Stiemerling@neclab.eu, ietfdbh@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [Gen-art] Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-behave-64-analysis-06

Hello Mohamed,

> I adopted in my local copy the text you proposed to describe the IPsec issue. I can even shorten the
> text to something like "IPsec complications with NAT-PT (Section 2.1 of [RFC4966])" but I prefer your
> text because it provides more RFC pointers.

Thank you for picking up the text.

It would be helpful for the Security Area to double-check it - I've cc:'d Sean Turner (SEC AD) in the hope that he or one of the IPsec experts in the Security Directorate can quickly check this 1-paragraph proposed text change, as in addition to this draft, I will need to file the result as errata against RFC 4966.

OLD
   6.  Unless UDP encapsulation is used for IPsec [RFC3948], traffic
       using IPsec AH (Authentication Header), in transport and tunnel
       mode, and IPsec ESP (Encapsulating Security Payload), in
       transport mode, is unable to be carried through NAT-PT without
       terminating the security associations on the NAT-PT, due to their
       usage of cryptographic integrity protection (Section 4.5 of
       [RFC4966]).
NEW
   6.  IPsec traffic using AH (Authentication Header) [RFC4302] in
       both transport and tunnel modes cannot be carried through NAT-PT
       without terminating the security associations on the NAT-PT, due
       to the inclusion of IP header fields in the scope of AH's cryptographic
       integrity protection [RFC3715] (Section 2.1 of [RFC4966]).  In
       addition, IPsec traffic using ESP (Encapsulating Security Payload)
       [RFC4303] in transport mode generally uses UDP encapsulation [RFC3948]
       for NAT traversal (including NAT-PT traversal) in order to avoid the
       problems described in [RFC3715] (Section 2.1 of [RFC 4966]).
END

Thanks,
--David