[Gen-art] Re: [Ecrit] WG: Review of draft-ietf-ecrit-security-threats-04.txt

Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net> Mon, 20 August 2007 15:59 UTC

Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 17:49:46 +0200
From: Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net>
To: christian.vogt@nomadiclab.com
Cc: "Cullen Jennings (fluffy)" <fluffy@cisco.com>, ECRIT <ecrit@ietf.org>, "Peterson, Jon" <jon.peterson@neustar.biz>, schulzrinne@cs.columbia.edu, Tom Taylor <tom.taylor@rogers.com>, Murugaraj Shanmugam <murugaraj@gmail.com>, gen-art@ietf.org
Subject: [Gen-art] Re: [Ecrit] WG: Review of draft-ietf-ecrit-security-threats-04.txt

Hallo Christian,

thanks for your review. Please find a few comments below:

Hannes Tschofenig wrote:
> Gen-ART Review ....

I agree with you that diverting emergency callers to non-emergency sites
is within the scope of ECRIT and is actually a form of DoS attack.

The paragraph in the draft will be changed. A first proposal can be
found here:
http://www.tschofenig.com/svn/draft-ietf-ecrit-security-threats/draft-ietf-ecrit-security-threats-05.txt

> I think that some clarification would be
> useful along these lines:
>
> Preventing diversion of emergency calls would likely require some
> evidence about the existence of a reported emergency case, such as a
> photograph, a video clip, or N previous calls reporting the same
> emergency case.  The decision of which proof would be acceptable, and
> whether requiring such proof is something desirable in the first place,
> is likely something that cannot be decided in the Ecrit WG.  Preventing
> diversion of emergency calls is hence something that is likely not to be
> in scope of the Ecrit WG.
With today's system none of these "checks" are performed (at least not
for small incidents).
For large scale disasters I am sure that the PSAP operator runs some
verification procedures before sending a huge number of first responders
to the scene.

While these aspects are interesting from a security point of view
regarding the question "How can you show that there is really an
emergency?" to deal with hoax <ende?lp=ende&p=eL4jU.&search=hoax> calls
I am also not sure how these aspects relate to the DoS attack you
mention. I understood this DoS attack more in the following sense: For
example, an adversary manages to modify the LoST mapping database and
re-writes PSAP URIs to URIs that point to a conference bridge. Then,
when an emergency call happens a person finds itself talking to the
conference bridge rather than to the PSAP operator.

> Maybe this should be clarified either in this document, or in the
> Requirements document -- in particular because the Requirements document
> currently only talks about verifying the caller's location, rather than
> verifying whether there actually exists an emergency case at that
> location.
The future emergency services infrastructure might be able to handle
more media types and accept additional data. However, it is quite likely
that the PSAP operator will not be able to use these things for a long
time since the capabilities are just not supported by end systems and in
some cases it might actually be difficult to expect the emergency caller
to take pictures (given the level of stress they are likely to
experience during an emergency situation).

Finally, an adversary can easily exploit such a system by not attaching
videos or pictures since the emergency call will not rejected anyway.

I think the best we can hope for at the moment is that the capabilities
built into SIP are used to a maximum extent and that the PSAP operator
accepts supplementary data about the emergency scene.

We are, to some extend, trying to capture some of these attacks. Our
focus was more on the attack against the PSAP itself when faked location
information was used. We have published a few documents on this subject
already, see http://www.tschofenig.com/wp/?p=131. We hope to make some
progress on that topic as well since it appeared to be a difficult one.

Ciao
Hannes