[Gen-art] Gen-ART review of: draft-ietf-secsh-gsskeyex-10.txt

Black_David@emc.com Sun, 28 August 2005 02:53 UTC

From: Black_David@emc.com
To: gen-art@ietf.org, jhutz+@cmu.edu, jsalowey@cisco.com, galb@vandyke.com, welch@mcs.anl.gov
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 22:52:53 -0400
Cc: sommerfeld@sun.com, hartmans-ietf@mit.edu, Black_David@emc.com
Subject: [Gen-art] Gen-ART review of: draft-ietf-secsh-gsskeyex-10.txt
Sender: gen-art-bounces@ietf.org

Background for those who may be unaware of GenART:

GenART is the Area Review Team for the General Area of the IETF.
We advise the General Area Director (i.e. the IETF/IESG chair) by
providing more in depth reviews than he could do himself of documents
that come up for final decision in IESG telechat.  I was selected
as the GenART member to review this document.  Below is my review,
which was written specifically with an eye to the GenART process, but
since I believe that it will be useful to have these comments more
widely distributed, others outside the GenART group are included.

Review criteria for WG submissions: "Is this document a reasonable
contribution to the area of Internet engineering which it covers? If
not, what changes would make it so?"

This draft is basically ready for publication, but has nits that
should be fixed before publication.

I found one nit that needs attention.  Section 3.2 of the draft uses
UTF-8 for a "user name" string but doesn't say what the applicable
Unicode character usage and normalization (stringprep) requirements are.
I believe that this problem is already addressed via use of the SASL
stringprep profile in the SSH-USERAUTH draft, so a sentence pointing
out the (obvious) fact that "user name" is an SSH user name, and
hence is subject to the SSH-USERAUTH draft's requirements on SSH user
names, including appropriate use of stringprep should suffice.

Thanks,
--David
David L. Black, Senior Technologist
+1 (508) 293-7953             FAX: +1 (508) 293-7786
black_david@emc.com        Mobile: +1 (978) 394-7754