[Gen-art] Re: gen-art assignment: draft-ietf-pwe3-iana-allocation-12.txt

"Joel M. Halpern" <joel@stevecrocker.com> Sat, 08 October 2005 19:23 UTC

Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2005 15:23:02 -0400
To: gen-art@ietf.org
From: "Joel M. Halpern" <joel@stevecrocker.com>
Subject: [Gen-art] Re: gen-art assignment: draft-ietf-pwe3-iana-allocation-12.txt
Sender: gen-art-bounces@ietf.org

This document is probably ready for publication as a Proposed Standard.

Reading the instructions here, I believe as written they conform to RFC 2434.
However, personally, I find the descriptions here somewhat insufficient.
There are a number of registered values with a short description and no
reference as to where one would find the full description.  While one is
allowed to set up a registry this way, it seems a bad idea.  A registry
ought to serve two functions:
1) Prevent collision
2) allow the reader to determine the meaning of the code points
Some of the items include RFC references.
Many of the items registered here do not include such indications.
And the text for future registrations does not even ask for such
pointers.  (And by having low length limits, it may even be difficult to
include useful references.)
Shouldn't the FCFS particularly at least allow for a pointer to the meaning
so that folks can try to re-use points?

The other aspect that strikes me is that this document provides for
extensive "expert review" with absolutely no indication of what the expert
would be looking for.  I realize (and agree with) the goal that an expert
reviewer should use his judgement.  But, based on observed history, some
indication of what he is to judge would seem helpful.

Put differently, both of these concerns can be summarized by saying that I
find our vague handling of registries discomforting.

Yours,
Joel

PS: Brian, I am not copying the author or shepherd because I think you need
to decide your take on these questions before they go to the relevant
individuals.
----

INT IANA Allocations for pseudo Wire Edge to Edge Emulation (PWE3) (BCP) -
3 of 5
     <http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pwe3-iana-allocation-12.txt>draft-ietf-pwe3-iana-allocation-12.txt

Token: <mailto:townsley@cisco.com>Mark Townsley
Reviewer: Joel Halpern