[Gen-art] Re: REVIEW: draft-ietf-avt-rfc2833bisdata-06.txt

"Tom-PT Taylor" <taylor@nortel.com> Mon, 05 June 2006 15:24 UTC

Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 11:23:56 -0400
From: Tom-PT Taylor <taylor@nortel.com>
To: "Michael A. Patton" <MAP@MAP-NE.com>
Cc: fluffy@cisco.com, magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com, gen-art@ietf.org, schulzrinne@cs.columbia.edu
Subject: [Gen-art] Re: REVIEW: draft-ietf-avt-rfc2833bisdata-06.txt

Thanks for the review. Responses below.

Michael A. Patton wrote:
> Attached is my review of the specified document, submitted as part of
> the Gen-ART process.  For background on Gen-ART, please see the FAQ at
> <http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/gen/art/gen-art-FAQ.html>.
>
> Document Tag: draft-ietf-avt-rfc2833bisdata-06.txt
> Document Title: Definition of Events For Modem, FAX, and Text Telephony Signals
> Intended Status: Proposed Standard
> Shepherding AD: Cullen Jennings
> Review Trigger: Telechat
>
> To the Author/Editor: Please wait for direction from your document
> shepherd or AD before posting a new version of the draft.
>

> ----------------  Begin review  ----------------

> 	should be fixed before publication.
>
> The two nits are very minor and should not slow down approval, but if
> they can be addressed as others are, that would be an improvement in
> this document.
>

> Minor comments
> --------------
>
> Should be a note to RFC Editor about references to RFC xxxx.  These
> are all references to [4] which is an ID to be simultaneously released
> as an RFC.  However, (as noted below) not all are marked.

[PTT] Note done.

> I note in the table in 2.7.1 there's no allowance for some
> combinations, which I know I've used in the past and have equipment in
> my home to generate, specifically B103 at 110.  It may just be that
> none of these combinations are actually in use any more (I certainly
> don't use them, I just collect 1970's era computer equipment :-), but
> are you really sure?  Wouldn't it make sense to just define a complete
> orthogonal set?  To the best of my knowledge both B103 and V21 were
> used at both 110 and 300 in full duplex applications, and as far as I
> know may still be at some location.

[PTT] The combinations shown in the document are those mentioned in Rec.
V.18 for text telephony. This is the primary target of the indicators,
so I don't think the others are required. One can always use the general
data indicator VBDGen.

>    The following editorial issues are noted for the convenience
>    of possible copy editors but are not part of the technical review.
>
> Clarity
> -------
>
> Reference 4 has old version number...to be fixed when it's an RFC anyway.

[PTT] Fixed.

> Typos
> -----
>
> In Section 1.2, paragraph starting "The problem comes..." has
> mismatched parenthesis.  Probably a close after [5] was dropped.

[PTT] Fixed.

> In that same paragraph "renabled" => "re-enabled".

[PTT] Fixed.

> In 2.5 bullet item b, the break at the space between "1" and "s" could
> cause some confusion.  This suggests that all number space "s"
> sequences should probably mark the space as non-breaking.

[PTT] Fixed.

> In Section 2.7.1 there is a reference to RFC xxxx without a [4], but
> I'm pretty sure that's what was meant.

[PTT] Right. Fixed.