[Gen-art] Re: IETF LC review: draft-creed-ogc-urn-03.txt

"Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com> Fri, 19 October 2007 17:31 UTC

Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 13:30:55 -0400
To: Mary Barnes <mary.barnes@nortel.com>, gen-art@ietf.org
From: "Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com>
Subject: [Gen-art] Re: IETF LC review: draft-creed-ogc-urn-03.txt
Cc: lisa@osafoundation.org, creed@opengeospatial.org

I have looked at the -03 draft, and this resolves my concerns expressed below.
This, I consider the gen-art summary to now read "This document is
ready for publication as an Informational RFC."

Thank you,
Joel M. Halpern

I have been selected as the General Area Review Team (Gen-ART)
reviewer for this draft (for background on Gen-ART, please see
http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/gen/art/gen-art-FAQ.html).

you may receive.

Document: A URN namespace for the Open Geospatial Consortium
Reviewer: Joel M. Halpern
Review Date:  13-Oct-2007
IETF LC End Date: 22-Oct-2007
IESG Telechat date: (if known) N/A

Informational RFC.  The following comment
	should be considered before publication.

Comments:
	The document provides a clear description of the reason and basis
for the registration.
	I am concerned that the document does not seem to provide a stable
reference for how a user would
find the list of defined OGC resources and the Resource Specific
Strings.  The description of the OGC process points to a Wiki page,
and is merely an introduction.  (As a minor note, if this reference
is to be published in this RFC, then the OGC should plan on
maintaining an informational page or link at that location even if
the Wiki is restructured.)
	There is a description of a beta version of a resolver to provide
the registry.  As this is Beta, it is not clear if that is the stable
and intended fashion for a user to examine the registry.
	So, while the document says that "The registration tables and
information will be published and maintain by ONA on the OGC web
site." I am concerned that this is not enough information.
	Note, as a reviewer who does not live in the URN world on a
day-to-day basis, it is possible that I am asking too much of the
registration.  But usually IANA tables are supposed to be such that
an outside user can find the registered values from the pointers at IANA.