Re: [Gen-art] Gen-ART Telechat review of draft-ietf-manet-olsrv2-metrics-rationale-03.txt

"Dearlove, Christopher (UK)" <Chris.Dearlove@baesystems.com> Thu, 25 April 2013 09:44 UTC

From: "Dearlove, Christopher (UK)" <Chris.Dearlove@baesystems.com>
To: Suresh Krishnan <suresh.krishnan@ericsson.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 09:44:05 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.109.62.6]
Cc: General Area Review Team <gen-art@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-manet-olsrv2-metrics-rationale.all@tools.ietf.org" <draft-ietf-manet-olsrv2-metrics-rationale.all@tools.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Gen-art] Gen-ART Telechat review of draft-ietf-manet-olsrv2-metrics-rationale-03.txt

With regard to e + m needs to add up to 12, the thing is that this is describing how the OLSRv2 draft came to be.

So (for our second attempt, but the first attempt is an ancient history red herring) we (actually, I, so I know exactly the thought processes that happened) went like this.

We will use some form of modified mantissa/exponent. Not a pure one (that was attempt one) and not a crudely offset one (that some had suggested but was ugly). But the sequence of increments by 1, then by 2, then by 4 etc. seemed to have the right sort of properties, so I started there, and turned that into a formula.

Now we had a request to make the metric a full 24 bits long (so that when aggregated over 255 hops it fitted 32 bits).

And that lead to 2^e + m = 24.

Now I looked at solutions (e,m) to that, and the ones that made any sort of sense were (3,16) and (4,8). Which led to 19 and 12 bit values. 19 is nasty (quite big) but 12 is OK. It's more than the 8 we previously had (but which didn't have a 24 bit range) but still allows us to do it in 2 octets (we have to have exact octets due to RFC 5444). And then something convenient clicked. We had 4 options, which can occur in combinations. Previously we were putting this information somewhere else (and ugly) compressed to 2 bits (as not all option combinations need be allowed for, but at an efficiency cost). But 12 is great, we can put all 4 in uncompressed in a 16 bit field. So that all fits together nicely, let's do that.

But as you can see, 12 was not a precondition, but rather a result.

It didn't seem necessary to spell all of that out even in a rationale draft. But to start with the a priori assumption of e+m = 12 would be both historically wrong, and a bad way to go. Because had the answer come to 13 we would probably have gone down a compressed 3 bit flags route (though with hindsight, I'm even more glad we didn't have to).

--
Christopher Dearlove
Senior Principal Engineer, Communications Group

BAE Systems (Operations) Limited
Registered in England & Wales No: 1996687