[Gen-art] Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-eai-imap-utf8-07 - Status

<Black_David@emc.com> Wed, 09 September 2009 13:18 UTC

Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 09:18:22 -0400
From: Black_David@emc.com
To: housley@vigilsec.com
Cc: alexey.melnikov@isode.com, gen-art@ietf.org, Black_David@emc.com
Subject: [Gen-art] Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-eai-imap-utf8-07 - Status

Russ,

Status on this review - the draft is ok with the current RFC Editor
notes in the ballot, but a couple more RFC Editor notes would be
desirable.

First, the two open issues have been resolved:
> - The header upconversion behavior specification for non-UTF-8
> 	mailstores appears to be incomplete.

The rest of the specification turns out to be in RFC 3501 (base
IMAP spec) if one knows where to look (Alexey knew where to
look).  The modifications to IMAP in this draft cannot be
reasonably implemented without carefully consulting RFC 3501,
so that should be fine.

> - The recommendation to support MIME header upconversion for
>	"Other widely deployed MIME charsets" strikes me as
>	too vague to be useful guidance to implementers.

One of the RFC Editor notes replaces this recommendation with
much better language that actually provides useful guidance.

The following two editorial items are candidates for RFC Editor
notes:

(1) Section 3.1, next to last paragraph needs a couple of RFC 2119
keywords:

   Mailbox
   names must comply with the Net-Unicode Definition (section 2 of
MUST >-->^^^^

   [RFC5198]) with the specific exception that they may not contain

   control characters (0000-001F, 0080-009F), delete (007F), line
   separator (2028) or paragraph separator (2029).

(2) Section 2 ought to introduce what's being added to the protocol.
Adaptations of the first two sentences in Section 10 (IANA
Considerations) would suffice.

There's a good chance that the authors have a -08 version that
contains these editorial changes.

Thanks,
--David