RE: [Geopriv] Comments to draft-thomson-geopriv-lis-discovery-02

"Winterbottom, James" <James.Winterbottom@andrew.com> Sat, 21 July 2007 20:18 UTC

Subject: RE: [Geopriv] Comments to draft-thomson-geopriv-lis-discovery-02
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 15:18:18 -0500
From: "Winterbottom, James" <James.Winterbottom@andrew.com>
To: Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net>, GEOPRIV <geopriv@ietf.org>

Hi Hannes,

A few points.

> I have a few comments. The document is important for the entire HELD
> solution and hence it is extremely important to discuss it during this
> meeting.

[AJW] Agreed

> I also suggest a wide review within the IETF very early in the process
> since these discovery aspects can cause serious delays during the IETF
> Last Call.

[AJW] Agreed

> I think that the DHCP discovery and the DNS-based discovery shouldn't
be
> in the same draft.

[AJW] We had two separate drafts for this and at the behest of a
previous chair we combined them. What may be a more reasonable approach
is to convert this document into a general "This is how you find local
services" document, and put the specific UNAPTR and HELD bits into the
HELD draft.

> Terminology
> ------------
>
> Use the terms we always use: IAP, ISP instead of "access networks" and
> "access network provider"
>
> Let us use the term LCS instead of LIS.

[AJW]   <soapbox> I still hate the term LCS because of its widespread
alternate usage in 3GPP (there are literally 10s of specs that use LCS
for location services). LIS is being used in a number of other
specifications, and is appearing in lots of RFIs/RFPs and RFQs. I think
that we in the IETF are picking something different, just for the sake
of being different here, and it is going to cause confusion in the wider
industry.</soapbox>

> Discovery of "PUBLIC IP ADDRESS"
>
> There are many protocols out there that allow the end host to
> communicate with a NAT to learn the public IP address.
> Now there two approaches:
> * You list some of them in the document and make one mandatory to
> implement
> * You describe the one that is mandatory to implement and indicate
that
> other mechanisms may be used as welll
>
> I prefer the latter approach. Maybe STUN would be a good approach to
use.

[AJW] You don't think that the document does this?

> Discovery Order
> -----------------
>
> I think that this text needs to be in HELD rather than in this
document.

[AJW] If this document is to be the basis for local service discovery
then I think the order is better here. If we decide to split it up into
DHCP and DNS again, then your suggestion is good, though it will make
the HELD draft longer again.. ;)

> Extensions
> -----------
>
> I believe that the concept in general might have a broader
applicability
> and hence I would suggest to generalize the work on the DNS-based
> discovery procedure to support other applications as well. I think it
> would be interesting to use this stuff for LoST as well (not in the
> current LoST document but as a future extension).

[AJW] See above.

> Operational Considerations
> ----------------------------
>
> I also believe that the document should have a section that talks
about
> the operational considerations for the DNS-based discovery approach.
It
> essentially requires the ISP to have the IP addresses of the end hosts
> or the DSL routers in the DNS in order for this resolution step to
work.

[AJW] This is kind of covered. Would it be reasonable to add this in an
appendix?

> It is good to have an example in the text.

[AJW] Do you like the current example, or do you want another one?

> Ciao
> Hannes

this email is prohibited.