Re: [Geopriv] Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-geopriv-policy-uri-02

<david.black@emc.com> Sat, 22 October 2011 18:38 UTC

From: david.black@emc.com
To: rbarnes@bbn.com
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2011 14:38:16 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: geopriv@ietf.org, james.winterbottom@andrew.com, ietf@ietf.org, gen-art@ietf.org, martin.thomson@andrew.com
Subject: Re: [Geopriv] Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-geopriv-policy-uri-02

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the quick response.  Two of the three proposed changes are fine with me:

- The additional text in section 3.1 stating that the policy URI is a shared
	secret with a forward reference to the security considerations section
	removes the surprise factor.
- The additional text on URI unpredictability in section 7.2 recommending a
	combination of 32 bits of entropy with rate limiting provides concrete
	guidance to implementers.

That leaves the issue of confidentiality and integrity requirements in section 7.2:

> > Alternatively, changing "required" to "REQUIRED" in the following sentence
> > in Section 7.2 may suffice, although integrity is not mentioned in this
> > sentence:
> >
> >     Confidentiality is required for its conveyance in the
> >     location configuration protocol, and in the requests that are used
> >     to inspect, change or delete the policy resource.
>
> I like this phrasing.  I'm not sure it's quite REQUIRED (following the "MUST implement / MAY use"
> pattern of BCP 61), but I would go for a strong SHOULD.  The underlying LCP protocols already
> guarantee the "MUST implement".   Suggested text:
>
> Section 7.2
> OLD:
> "
> Confidentiality is required for its conveyance in the location configuration protocol, and in the
> requests that are used to inspect, change or delete the policy resource.
> "
> NEW:
> "
> Confidentiality and integrity protections SHOULD be used when policy URIs are conveyed in a location
> configuration protocol, and in the requests that are used to inspect, change or delete the policy
> resource.
> "

The reason for going beyond BCP 61 is that BCP 61 concerns protocols in general, but this
is a specific case with additional security requirements because a policy URI is a shared
secret.  If a policy URI is sent without confidentiality, a likely result is that the
policy URI is still shared, but is no longer sufficiently secret (oops).

This is particularly dangerous if there are no additional authorization checks on the
PUT or DELETE methods for the policy URI, but it's probably ok in some situations if only
the GET method is allowed (e.g., policy creation and update are handled via some other means
such as a secure web portal).

For that reason, the proposed SHOULD requirement would be ok with me if a couple of things
were added:
 (i) If an LCP sends a policy URI without confidentiality protection, then the
	LIS or LS MUST reject the PUT and DELETE methods for that URI.
 (ii) The PUT and DELETE methods SHOULD NOT be supported for policy URIs that
	use the "http:" URI scheme (in contrast to the "https:" URI scheme).

For (i) it'd also be useful to note that the current LCPs never send a policy URI
without confidentiality protection in connection with this (already stated in 7.1,
but ought to be connected to (i) if that text winds up in a different section).

For (ii), I'm not sure what is envisioned by the final sentence in section 7.1:

	If other means of protection are available, an "http:" URI MAY be used.

What sorts of "other means of protection" were the underlying motivation?  Those "other
means of protection" would be the reason for (ii) being a "SHOULD" instead of a "MUST".

Thanks,
--David