Re: [Geopriv] dhcp-lbyr-uri-option

Marc Linsner <mlinsner@cisco.com> Fri, 26 March 2010 13:21 UTC

Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 09:21:49 -0400
From: Marc Linsner <mlinsner@cisco.com>
To: James Polk <jmpolk@cisco.com>, "geopriv@ietf.org" <geopriv@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Geopriv] dhcp-lbyr-uri-option

James,

In-line....

On 3/25/10 6:49 PM, "James Polk" <jmpolk@cisco.com> wrote:

> At 03:50 PM 3/25/2010, Marc Linsner wrote:
>> James,
>>
>> I guess my confusion comes from the section I pulled out as it talks about
>> LCI, which is only offered to a target.  Also, I'm not aware that either
>> DHCP or HELD are capable of a 'push'.  So, I'm not seeing the added value in
>> a target dereferencing a URI to get LbyV vs. performing additional LCP LbyV
>> queries.  In either case, the target does a 'query'.
>
> with the Location URI Option, the client does this query once, and
> not again until the client changes domains or at some URI refresh
> interval. Within a Cisco campus, the location URI - once learned -
> will remain valid while the client is within the campus -- regardless
> of how many APs it traverses in its travels around the campus.
>
> With a client receiving an Option 99/123, it needs to re-query every
> time the client believes it has traveled sufficiently to know it's
> location value is old information. Changing APs is the easy part for
> triggering a new query for LI, moving between floors on the same AP isn't.

OK, this is the part I'm missing.  The algorithm the client uses to decide
when to re-query is the same no matter what location discovery mechanism is
being used, is it not?  What is the advantage to dereferencing a URI vs.
sending a DHCP option request or a HELD request?  I see them as equal, no
advantage to one over the other in this use case.

My only reason for commenting is the draft proposes that in the case of LCI,
which is a target discovering it's own location, there are advantages to
LbyR vs. DHCP or HELD.  I'm not convinced there is any advantage.  I'm
simply attempting to make the text in the draft accurate.

-Marc-