Re: [Geopriv] Adding GPS location to IPv6 header

"Richard L. Barnes" <rbarnes@bbn.com> Tue, 20 November 2012 18:49 UTC

From: "Richard L. Barnes" <rbarnes@bbn.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 13:49:48 -0500
To: Ammar Salih <ammar.salih@auis.edu.iq>
Cc: geopriv@ietf.org, ipv6@ietf.org, "'Fred Baker (fred)'" <fred@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [Geopriv] Adding GPS location to IPv6 header

Hi Ammar,

I have read your draft.  From what I can tell, it is just a summary of the arguments in this thread.  It would be more helpful if you could add a level of technical detail to help people understand.  I would want to see at least:
1. The format of the IPv6 option
2. Where it is to be added to / removed from a packet
3. Requirements for routers / hosts
4. Privacy considerations
5. Security considerations

Also, it will be slightly easier to read if you use some of the standard tools for authoring Internet drafts.  See, for example:
<http://tools.ietf.org/>

Technically speaking, I'm not yet convinced that this option is very useful, but it does not seem to me that this option would be harmful to the network, only possibly the privacy of users.  In specifying the privacy mechanisms in your detailed description, I would suggest that you make this mechanism "opt-in" by end hosts.  For example, you could have an all-zero geolocation option indicate that a host wishes to disclose its location, but doesn't know its geolocation to put in the option; then you could require that a router SHOULD NOT populate this option unless an all-zero geolocation option is already present (indicating consent).

It would also be helpful to clarify how this option would relate to other similar options, such as the line identifier option:
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6788>

Hope this helps,
--Richard