Re: [Geopriv] [geopriv] #37: Section 3

"James M. Polk" <jmpolk@cisco.com> Tue, 24 August 2010 22:55 UTC

Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 17:55:50 -0500
To: geopriv issue tracker <trac@tools.ietf.org>, bernard_aboba@hotmail.com, martin.thomson@andrew.com
From: "James M. Polk" <jmpolk@cisco.com>
Cc: geopriv@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Geopriv] [geopriv] #37: Section 3

At 04:16 PM 8/24/2010, geopriv issue tracker wrote:
>#37: Section 3
>------------------------------------------+---------------------------------
>Reporter:  bernard_aboba@…               |
>  Owner:  bernard_aboba@…
>€¦                Type:  defect
>       |       Status:  closed
>Changes (by bernard_aboba@…):    * status:  new
>=> closed   * resolution:  => fixed Comment:
>Here is a potential change to Section 3 to
>include references to RFC 3693 and 3694, as well
>as to address the tampering as well as
>confidentiality issues: Geopriv requirements
>(including security requirements) are discussed
>in "Geopriv Requirements" [RFC3693]. A threat
>analysis is provided in "Threat Analysis of the
>Geopriv Protocol" [RFC3694]. Since there is no
>privacy protection for DHCP messages, an
>eavesdropper who can monitor the link between
>the DHCP server and requesting client can
>discover this LCI. To minimize the unintended
>exposure of location information, the LCI option
>SHOULD be returned by DHCP servers only when the
>DHCP client has included this option in its
>'parameter request list' (section 3.5
>[RFC2131]). Where critical decisions might be
>based on the value of this option, DHCP
>authentication as defined in "Authentication for
>DHCP Messages" [RFC3118] and "Dynamic Host
>Configuration Protocol for IPv6 (DHCPv6)"
>[RFC3315] SHOULD be used to protect the integrity of the DHCP options.

I have no issues with what's above (even if the
formatting didn't translate very well here. I
think I have 1 issue with what's below though...

>Link layer confidentiality and integrity
>protection may also be employed to reduce the
>risk of location disclosure and tampering.

I don't care for the "may" that's here in this
sentence.  If this is for implementers it should
be a MAY, if it's here for education or configuration it should be a "can".

IMO of course

James