RE: [Geopriv] Re: Review of draft-busin-geopriv-location-qos-req-01

Salvatore Loreto <salvatore.loreto@ericsson.com> Wed, 05 December 2007 18:16 UTC

Subject: RE: [Geopriv] Re: Review of draft-busin-geopriv-location-qos-req-01
From: Salvatore Loreto <salvatore.loreto@ericsson.com>
To: "Thomson, Martin" <Martin.Thomson@andrew.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 20:13:38 +0200
Cc: geopriv@ietf.org

Hi Martin,

thanks for your comments, here some first considerations.
Of course, we are well aware the subject it is not so simple and it
needs to be discussed largely. But also we do believe we have to discuss
it.

regards
Sal

On Sun, 2007-12-02 at 22:17 -0600, Thomson, Martin wrote:
> Hi Sal,
>
> I have responses to some (not all) of your comments below.
>
> Thanks,
> Martin

[Sal] yes, I can't that agree "uncertainty" is a more correct term than
"accuracy".
"Accuracy" is a term inherited from the 3GPP specs.
It is not a problem at all from our point of view rename if it.

[Sal] MT you are correct in that a Confidence level is needed.
The problem is that in none of the  3GPP LCS, OMA SUPL or OMS MLP
specifications have capability to define confidence in the request.
Instead it the positioning determination mechanism has an
(implementation specific) setting of Confidence.  It is then assumed
that the application is aware of what confidence is used.
This has shown to be a far from perfect solution but has so far not
caused enough problems to initiate extensions to the specs.
Thus the main problem with introducing confidence is that the location
server cannot (at least for the moment) forward it to the positioning
determination entity. Don't think this is a show stopper but if it's
allowed to respond with another confidence level the it acceptable to
include a requested confidence in the QoS.

> > > ### Response Time:
> > >
> > > As an example, is the functionality in Section 6.1. of
> > > http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-geopriv-http-location-
> > delivery-03.txt
> > > what you have in mind?
> >

> > [SAL] Well, a similar meaning. In mentioned draft it is defined as the
> > time that Device is prepared to wait for a response, while we defined it
> > as the time on Location Server in which it has to (or should) send a
> > response.
> > The reason why we use this later definition is because we assume that
> > Location Server (or LIS in HELD case) cannot estimate how long will the
> > response travel through the network to the recipient (or Device).
> >

> [MT] "Low delay" and "delay tolerant" are too vague to be useful. If implementations are to interoperate, they need to have a shared understanding
> of what each token means.  Hence the fact the HELD has a definitive value.  Note that a LIS is not expected to estimate times for network traversal,
>  it should be applying the value when a request is received.

[Sal] Sorry, but we do not use low delay or delay tolerant in the draft.
So I don't see your point here.

> [MT] A second note on this is the application of response time to SIP subscriptions.  I'd be interested in knowing how this value applies to notifications.

[Sal] For SIP subscription it is not of much use.
A definition could be "Time from when condition of reporting has
occurred to notification being sent"

> [...]
> > "age" is used to limit the freshness of the location information
> > included in the response message, can be express like "Provide me the
> > current or last known location of the target if the known location
> > information is not older than ..." (as long as other QoS defined are
> > met)
>
> [MT] Age is a useful parameter when caching is involved.  Providing this parameter can tell a LIS whether or not to re-calculate location information.
> We haven't talked about caching to date.

> > > I do wonder, however, what values for age would be reasonable.
> > > Currently, we
> > > essentially only have two states, namely:
> > > a) Provide me the location of the Target at the time
> > > when the location URI was created.
> > > b) Provide me the current location of the Target.
> > >
> > > You seem to desire more functionality. Could you be a bit more specific
> > > of what you
> > > would like to see?
> > >
> > > When the response is sent then it includes a timestamp field. This
> > > timestamp in
> > > the PIDF-LO indicates when the PIDF-LO document was created. Is this
> > > indication
> > > good enough for you?
> >
> > [Sal] Yes
> >

> <MT:SNIP/>
> > >
> > >    1.1)  Geopriv MUST specify Location QoS Information, both in syntax
> > >       and semantics, that SHOULD be insert in the LCP and LDP request;
> > >       the Location QoS information MUST be supported and understood by
> > >       the Location Recipient and the Location Server.
> > >
> > > It is not entirely correct to say GEOPRIV here since the requirements
> > > refer to a
> > > specific protocol. Hence, it would be useful to list the protocol that
> > > needs to
> > > have the extension defined. You may add this information to Req. 2.
> > >
> > > Since the Location QoS Information is supposed to be an optional
> > > extension one
> > > cannot mandate that it is understood by the Location Recipient and the
> > > Location Server.
> >

> > [Sal]: this is maybe misinterpreted.
> > The presence of the Location QoS Information is optional not the
> > extension – meaning, if Location QoS Information is not present in the
> > request, the Location Server may return Location Information with any
> > quality.
> > If Location QoS Information is present, the Location Server must know
> > what this means and act accordingly.
> > If Location Server does not understand this information it should return
> > an error indication.
> > Maybe this is not so clear in the draft so we should add these sentences
> > to the Requirements chapter.
>
> [MT] I don't like this approach because it forces servers to implement QoS support. A client that expects a failure if QoS is not
> met is likely to make assumptions, which do not hold when the server doesn't understand the extension.  As a protocol extension,
> it should be optionally supported by all parties.

[Sal] yes sure, but if we let it to be optional also in the server, we
have to define a way to let the client aware if the server support it or
not.
I mean, if we consider the QoS be optionally supported by all parties,
which is the correct behavior when a Client request a location with QoS
to a Servet that doesn't support QoS?
should the server reply with something error like not supported
extension?
or instead it should provide the location adding just a parameter or a
tag saying "this location has been calculate without taking care of the
QoS because I don't understand it"