RE: [Geopriv] issues and adoption of draft-thomson-geopriv-geo-shape

"Thomson, Martin" <Martin.Thomson@andrew.com> Fri, 19 May 2006 05:34 UTC

From: "Thomson, Martin" <Martin.Thomson@andrew.com>
To: Cullen Jennings <fluffy@cisco.com>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 00:33:00 -0500
Subject: RE: [Geopriv] issues and adoption of draft-thomson-geopriv-geo-shape
Cc: geopriv@ietf.org, Andrew Newton <andy@hxr.us>

Cullen,

I'll be submitting another copy of this draft that should appear some time soon.  In the new version I've made a few minor tweaks:

 - the guidance on when approximations are useful is a little more detailed, including the fact that processing these shapes might require tolerances built into the algorithms;
 - I've also noted that these shapes can be used without these approximations to precisely define shapes, depending on context;
 - text on applicability has been tweaked; and
 - I've also addressed some nits.

More inline with some snips...

Cheers,
Martin

This document is intended to provide shapes that are compatible with those used for 2-3G wireless.  I also intended it to cover a range of access technologies:

 - WiMAX is similar to 2-3G when it comes to location, comparable transmission range, etc...

 - the shapes work better as they get smaller, so it covers 802.11, Pringle cans and all.  The benefits of its use in 802.15 are questionable, but I see no reason why it wouldn't apply (location = my right pocket).

 - the shapes are also appropriate for describing a house, a small housing subdivision, a floor or floors of a building.  This suits wiremap type location methods, including DHCP.

I've also looked at cable, broadband over power, blimps with WiFi attached, ad hoc WiFi, you name it.  Defining a polygon that covers an entire country, for instance, requires quite a few points, not to mention complications from the curvature of the earth - I really think that would start to make the document a little too tricky to work with.

> In an side conversation with Rohan, he explained that this formed a
> framework then specific usage, like E911 information, might constrain
> things down much more - like specifying coordinate systems and such.
> I might be asking questions here that are actually answered in other
> documents.

Rohan knows what he is talking about on this ;)

We actually do have other documents for those sorts of constraints.  More on that later...

> > Maybe I should also point out, right up front, that one of the joys
> > of uncertainty is that it is an inexact science.  It doesn't have
> > to be completely precise.  In many cases an approximation that is
> > within a 5% margin of error is not going to make that great a
> > difference.  I won't re-run the confidence discussion, but suffice
> > it to say that we are dealing with guesses here.  That might shed a
> > different light on the draft.
>
> I actually really liked a bunch of your discussion of this in the
> draft. It's hard stuff to explain. Yep, I think providing things
> about what level of approximation we are assuming is needed would be
> good.

Thanks :)

> Could we get away with just mandating counter clockwise polygons?

I would like to leave the flexibility in how polygons are used and leave the only horizontal or only counter-clockwise recommendations to other documents.  That's a good one for PIDF-LO profile, but WGLC is about to finish...  sends another email... ok, just in time.

> I think that I missed the definition of short enough. Can you point
> right place. It seems like giving concrete advice on this would be
> good. Perhaps even just specifying a maximum diameter for polygons
> that were small enough for the approximation would be all that is
> needed.

Maximum recommended distances are covered in "4.4. Lines and Distances".  Pointing out the problem that occurs when the location nears the poles is a good suggestion. I have worked out a reasonable point where this degrades and have added notes to that effect: 3%error @ 130km @ 70 degrees.  70 degrees is good because it covers most of the populated area of the globe with only a few places sticking out.

> > I appreciate your point about the spherical interpolation, but I
> > think forcing support of that sort of mathematics would be a
> > prohibitive barrier to implementation.  In reality, inverse
> > flattening makes spherical interpolation infeasible, particularly
> > near the poles.  Geodesic interpolation would be required, which is
> > widely documented as being somewhere between tricky and a right PITA.
>
> I probably land in the thinking it is a right PITA end of the
> spectrum. Questions is, are we making it simpler or are we sweeping
> something under the rug that is just going to cause buggy
> implementations. Do we need to say something like, this can not be
> used above 70 degrees latitude? Would a constraint like this be
> acceptable? I really don't know the answers to any of these - and I
> am not implying what is here won't work.  It's just not clear to me
> that it will work, or under what constraints it will fail.

Above.  Thanks for pointing out the latitude thing, I had thought about it, but it required some more calculations to work out some reasonable numbers.

> Part of the difficulty here is this draft defines a way to specify
> shapes. The things I am talking about failing are computational
> geometry algorithm that operate on the shapes. Right now the draft
> does not indicate requirements for what algorithm we might want to
> compute on the defined shapes and the desired accuracy of theses
> computation so it makes it hard to decide if the shapes we are
> allowing make it to hard to implement the algorithms needed.
>
> > So, thanks for the feedback!  You get a gold star for being the
> > first to get into the meat of this.  Has my response helped?  Or
> > did this just pile more confusion on?
>
> Response helped a bunch - I'm sorry that right now I don't have any
> specific suggestions on how to improve. Some thoughts are getting
> crisp on constraints on shapes (such as max diameter and not near
> poles), then perhaps describe (by reference) some algorithm that are
> simple to implement and would produce results with acceptable error.
> I don't know this may be an awful idea, I just throwing stuff out and
> seeing it any of it makes sense to the experts.

From the perspective of algorithms, WGS84 has some nice ones for translating lat/long/alt into Cartesian systems, where you can do all that nice Cartesian geometry on them.  Most of the approximations just make that translation easier.  I.e. you can get a real polygon in Cartesian space, rather than a wonky twisted thing with non-parallel and curved faces.

Aside from that, the algorithms that you need are probably specific to the application.  I think that we are talking containment/overlap determination for LoST, others might just be doing conical or transverse Mercator projections for mapping.

I don't really want to dig too deeply into that area - it's outside what is needed for interoperation and frankly, you are likely to close off possibilities more than anything else.  All this fuzzy science leaves a lot of scope for innovation and unique ideas, which gets all very proprietary, particularly when it touches on location determination technology.  Of course, suggestions and pointers are welcome.

Cheers,
Martin

<snip old stuff>

this email is prohibited.