Re: [Geopriv] Simple draft: continuous values in presence

"Carl Reed" <creed@opengeospatial.org> Fri, 21 November 2008 19:40 UTC

From: Carl Reed <creed@opengeospatial.org>
To: "Thomson, Martin" <Martin.Thomson@andrew.com>, geopriv@ietf.org
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 12:40:19 -0700
Cc: Mike Botts <mike.botts@nsstc.uah.edu>, Simon Cox <Simon.Cox@csiro.au>
Subject: Re: [Geopriv] Simple draft: continuous values in presence
Sender: geopriv-bounces@ietf.org

Martin -

I have not yet this document in detail - just a quick browse.

However, as I learn more and more about sensor systems (a result of the
extensive standards work and implementation of sensor interface and
description standards being done in the OGC community), I have a feeling
that much of what you are describing has to some extent already been stated
as part of some sensor standard. For example, the entire concept of
"triggering" based on some set of rules. For example, the OGC SensorML
standard can be used to define both the characteristics and the process
model for a sensor, such as weather sensor (in-situ) or a mobile device
(dynamic). The process model defines the "how" of how an observation is
processed by the sensor system. This process can include rules related to
time, measurement range, locations, combinations of all of these in order to
specify how observations are sampled from a continuous stream.

There is also considerable work being done using SensorML WRT expressing
data quality and provenance of the observations.

Also, we should make sure that the terminology is consistent with existing
sensor standards.  The following is from the OGC and ISO community:

.Phenomenon: Phenomenon is associated with an identifiable object, which is
the feature of interest of the observation
.
.Observation: An act through which a number, term or other symbol is
assigned to a phenomenon
.
.Measurement (noun): An observation whose result is a measure
.
.Measure: value described using a numeric amount with a scale or using a
scalar reference system
.
.So, Phenomenon = WIND, Observation is the "act" of the wind gauge,
Measurement = Wind Speed, Measure is 20 KPH
There is an OGC standard called Observations and Measurements that may be of
use. This standard is now also in the process of becoming an ISO standard.

I may be off base here but do want to make sure that we at least have a
common and consistent use of the semantics and vocabularies of how we
describe a sensor and describe and define the observation/measurements
returned by a sensor.

Cheers

Carl