Re: [Geopriv] Fwd: IPR Disclosure: Qualcomm Incorporated's Statement about IPR related to RFC 4119

Alan Clark <alan.d.clark@telchemy.com> Thu, 02 June 2011 18:07 UTC

Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2011 14:06:50 -0400
From: Alan Clark <alan.d.clark@telchemy.com>
To: "James M. Polk" <jmpolk@cisco.com>, "Richard L. Barnes" <rbarnes@bbn.com>, geopriv@ietf.org
Cc: wgchairs@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Geopriv] Fwd: IPR Disclosure: Qualcomm Incorporated's Statement about IPR related to RFC 4119

Independently from anything the IETF may choose to do (or not), the US
Federal Trade Commission (www.ftc.gov) sometimes gets involved in matters
relating to US companies failing to disclose intellectual property related
to standards activities in which they participate.  There have been a number
of cases in which the FTC have penalized the patent holder where it could be
clearly shown the that patent holder participated in the development of a
standard and failed to disclose the existence of patent rights related to
the standard.

Alan