AW: [Geopriv] Location Presence Event Package

"Hannes Tschofenig" <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net> Sat, 21 April 2007 13:56 UTC

Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 15:49:37 +0200
From: Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net>
Subject: AW: [Geopriv] Location Presence Event Package
To: Pailer Rudolf <r.pailer@mobilkom.at>
Cc: geopriv@ietf.org

Hi Rudolf,

> Hello Hannes!
>
> The following comments regarding the documents that you mentionned:
>
> *) The content of location presence notifications is based on PIDF-LO. For
> containment status data (inside/outside of an area) an extension proposed
> in
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-geopriv-loc-filters-01.txt is used.

Ok

> *)  The story about the document draft-ietf-geopriv-loc-filters-01.txt by
> Rohan Mahy is, that the draft was expired and I decided to copy some parts
> of it in the location presence draft. There are some minor adjustments to
> draft-ietf-geopriv-loc-filters-01.txt, that we propose, and that I have also
> posted on this mailing list.
> Now this draft has reappeard and I plan to just refer to Rohan's draft in
> the next version.

Got it.

> *) RFC 4745 describes in general how policy documents should look like.
> draft-ietf-geopriv-policy-11.txt describes the polica about access to
> presence data depending on the current location. There may be some kind of
> connection to location presence, but we see potential problems if policy areas and
> location presence areas overlap (in particular, if the service should be
> implemented on a mobile phone with restricted computing resources). We will
> further investigate the relation of our draft to policy rules.
> draft-ietf-simple-presence-rules-09.txt describes policy for RPIDF
> documents. We did not find RPIDF useful for transporting locatrion presence data.

That's certainly something we should discuss further. I would like to better understand your thoughts about potential problems for the relationship between presence and location policy.

> *) draft-ietf-geopriv-pdif-lo-profile-06.txt is mentionned in the location
> presence document as a potential reference. The geographical shapes in
> this draft are much more complex than the rectangle shape in our draft.
> The location presence event package should be implemented in mobile
> devices. Finding out, whether a mobile phone is inside/outside of a specified
> geographical shape may result in complex and resource intensive calculations
> (with exception of the shape of a circle (center point with radius) that is
> missing in the features.xsd of GML).

I will have to double-check this with your draft. There are a couple of shapes in draft-ietf-geopriv-pdif-lo-profile-06.txt that relate to location determination techniques used in cellular networks.

I will respond to this aspect in a separate mail

> *) draft-ietf-geopriv-revised-civic-lo-05.txt  works with civic addresses
> that are out of the scope of the location presence avent package. Again
> there is the problem, how to implement mapping of geographical data to civic
> addresses on a mobile phone.

Civic address information is more valueable in an non-cellular environment. There are, however, a couple of mobility environments where this is pretty useful.

> We rather think that such a mapping service
> should be implemented by some GIS in the network.
>
> *) draft-singh-geopriv-pidf-lo-dynamic-01.txt is definitely interesting
> regading dynamic features like speed, accelleration or bearing. In real
> applications, there are however scalability considerations to be done, in
> particular regarding the rate of notifications.

I am sure that there are implications regarding the amount of notifications being returned. This aspect motivated Rohan's filter draft.

Ciao
Hannes