RE: [Geopriv] draft-hdesinen-geopriv-pidflo-extn-00.txt

"Thomson, Martin" <Martin.Thomson@andrew.com> Mon, 24 July 2006 00:50 UTC

From: "Thomson, Martin" <Martin.Thomson@andrew.com>
To: "Edge, Stephen" <sedge@qualcomm.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 19:50:00 -0500
Subject: RE: [Geopriv] draft-hdesinen-geopriv-pidflo-extn-00.txt
Cc: geopriv@ietf.org

Hi Stephen,

Based on my reading of 23.167, your(?) draft makes a little more sense now.  That isn't to say that I agree with its implementation.

23.167 makes a number of assumptions that do not hold in general.  This is generally true of IMS and the reason why those networks are less interesting for ECRIT/GEOPRIV:

 - The trust relationship between the home network and the visited network is assumed. When you have to deal with a separation of access provider and voice provider these systems don't work.  Brian and Ted have already made good points on this one.

 - The LRF (or E-CSCF) is given two distinct tasks.  The location determination task is combined with the route decision task.  This is obviously something that carries over from the roles performed by the GMLC for X-Y routing.  Based on a separation of access and service, I2/I3 do not make this assumption and identify two separate roles:
    : The LIS provides location information and exists in the access network.
    : The LoST server determines a route - it does not require any specific association, although the authoritative LoST server exists in the same jurisdiction as the Target.

Here is my alternative example, which deals with the above assumptions:

 1. The User initiates an emergency call.  (Note: We talk about emergency calling, but this procedure might also apply to a call to the local pizza delivery service.)

 2. The UE decides that it doesn't have enough time to determine location.  (Note that this really isn't a valid decision.  Location information is necessary for emergency routing - you can't save time by avoiding this step.)  There are a few possibilities here:
    a. The UE has relatively recent information available...it uses that.
    b. The UE can request location information from the LIS.  It indicates to the LIS that it is in a hurry.  It might include a Cell-ID in the request to provide assistance.  The LIS is a network element, so it can perform a few tricks to get location information quickly.
    c. The UE might already have a location reference...it uses that.
    d. The UE might request a location reference.  This is quick, but it only defers the cost of location determination.  A dereference needs to be performed by the call server.  A smart setup might have the LIS start determination at this point.

 [Option A - send location information]
 A3. The UE makes the INVITE, including location information.
 A4. The call server determines that the call needs routing and requests a route from the LoST server.

[Option B - determine route at the UE]
 B3. The UE requests a route using the location information from the LoST server.
 B4. The UE sends the INVITE, including the route information in the request.  This request should also include location information.

[End Options]
 5. The call server routes the call.

UE capabilities are exchanged with the LIS when requesting location information or the location reference.  The LIS is then able to exercise these capabilities as they meet the QoS needs (time, accuracy, precision).  This can be applied equally to UE requests; or requests from the call server.  I wrote a draft on this here:
  http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-thomson-geopriv-held-capabilities

There are other aspects with the PIDF-LO extension that don't make sense.  For example, in many cases, the types of capabilities you indicate can be exchanged using the control or user plane signaling.  SUPL exchanges this information it its preliminary messaging; in GSM the classmark field indicates MS capabilities.

Cheers,
Martin

this email is prohibited.