Re: [Geopriv] Comments on draft-polk-geopriv-include-exclude-filters-00

"Thomson, Martin" <Martin.Thomson@andrew.com> Wed, 11 March 2009 03:10 UTC

Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 22:10:51 -0500
From: "Thomson, Martin" <Martin.Thomson@andrew.com>
To: "James M. Polk" <jmpolk@cisco.com>
Cc: GEOPRIV <geopriv@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Geopriv] Comments on draft-polk-geopriv-include-exclude-filters-00

Looks like we are mostly in agreement, aside from a few questions.

Most of the questions relate to "optional" components.  4661 provides all-or-nothing type of semantics.  Anything "optional" actually relates to quality.

Take altitude - you can require it all you like, but if the PA doesn't actually have any way of getting it, you're only going to miss out on the information that it does have.  In a lot of cases, you want to say: "I'd like this thanks if you have it."

For instance, if you want 3D, using 4661 naively you could inadvertently prevent the PA from sending you any location at all.  If it can't give you altitude, then it can't give you altitude.  In this case, as with those related to location quality, I prefer that a "soft" filter be defined.  I think that we can do some of that with 4661, but not all.  In actual fact, it might not be appropriate to put those examples in this document.

I'd recommend reading of draft-thomson-simple-cont-presence-val-req and draft-thomson-geopriv-location-quality, which deal with the issue of quality, soft filters and other related issues.

Cheers,
Martin

this email is prohibited.
[mf2]