Re: [Geopriv] Proposal for LIS discovery (DNS)

"Thomson, Martin" <Martin.Thomson@andrew.com> Thu, 11 December 2008 22:23 UTC

Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 16:22:51 -0600
From: "Thomson, Martin" <Martin.Thomson@andrew.com>
To: Richard Barnes <rbarnes@bbn.com>, Ray.Bellis@nominet.org.uk
Cc: geopriv@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Geopriv] Proposal for LIS discovery (DNS)
Sender: geopriv-bounces@ietf.org

Hi Richard,

I know this is probably less motivated than I'm going to imply, but I have to pick on you for this:

> Barbara's "unmodified gateway/CPE" requirement.

If we persist on labelling the use case as belonging to Barbara, then we are purposefully disregarding its seriousness.  I understand how this is requirement poses a very difficult problem, but all this does is give the impression that you are reluctant to solve the problem.

Barbara just happens to be the one who raised the problem.  We could pretend that this is limited to the few that access the Internet through her employer's network, but that doesn't work.

I personally have such a device.  I can't see a manufacturer adding features to a device that they no longer sell.  And I've got better things to do with my money than replacing working equipment.

I'm of the opinion that we can't rely on option 15 to solve the hard problem.  If you could rely on option 15, it would be reasonable to say that the LIS URI option could work.  If we are talking about modified routers, this is the "right" way to solve the problem.

Cheers,
Martin

this email is prohibited.