Re: [Geopriv] Security considerations for LIS discovery

Brian Rosen <br@brianrosen.net> Tue, 25 May 2010 14:17 UTC

Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 10:16:47 -0400
From: Brian Rosen <br@brianrosen.net>
To: Ray Bellis <Ray.Bellis@nominet.org.uk>, "geopriv@ietf.org" <geopriv@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Geopriv] Security considerations for LIS discovery

Sorry, I don't get this.

I certainly understand the customer-of-the-isp issue.

However, at least in my experience, such customers don't want any reference
to their upstream providers in any service.  That means if the customer's
domain is customer.net, they want the lis to be lis.customer.net, and
isp.net has to answer to that name.  If they didn't care, then the DHCP
entry would be allowed to point directly to the ISP (and only one DHCP entry
would need to be changed if the ISP changed)

That is usually pretty straightforward, and ISPs do that.  The LIS would
have multiple credentials and use the appropriate one.

SRVs would have the same issue.  The customer would want the entry in
customer.net's lis SRV to be lis.customer.net, and the DNS resolution of
that would be an address the ISP responds to.

Brian