Re: [GROW] Comment on draft-manderson-grow-geomrt-00

Terry Manderson <terry.manderson@icann.org> Thu, 12 August 2010 03:31 UTC

From: Terry Manderson <terry.manderson@icann.org>
To: Jeffrey Haas <jhaas@pfrc.org>, "grow@ietf.org" <grow@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 20:32:25 -0700
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [GROW] Comment on draft-manderson-grow-geomrt-00

Hi Jeff,

Apologies for the lag. I selfishly engaged in a personal life after ietf.

On 3/08/10 7:56 AM, "Jeffrey Haas" <jhaas@pfrc.org> wrote:

> I just got done re-reading this draft.  Upon review, I'm wondering if
> instead of creating a new type that simply adding a new sub-type may be
> more appropriate.

I considered that early on in the piece as the peer_index_table was the only
item augmented. And it made logical sense. :-) ie the subtypes might be:

       1    PEER_INDEX_TABLE
       2    RIB_IPV4_UNICAST
       3    RIB_IPV4_MULTICAST
       4    RIB_IPV6_UNICAST
       5    RIB_IPV6_MULTICAST
       6    RIB_GENERIC
       7    GEO_PEER_TABLE

> This has the advantage that it requires fewer changes to existing
> implementations.  In particular, it permits older MRT file readers to be
> able to continue to parse the dump data.  Only the new geoip information
> would be opaque.

The experience I had is that my tests with some MRT readers ended in code
crashes when using sub-types that weren't natively known. (not all crashed
mind you, the old faithful zebra-dump-parser.pl has a nice sane warn "TYPE:
MSG_TABLE_DUMP_V2/UNKNOWN_SUBTYPE_$subtype\n";)

So to be safe I opted for a peer_index_table replacement and a new file/dump
altogether (and nomenclature) as almost all code bases exited nicely enough
when the type was unknown.

A part of the justification for an almost 'all or nothing' approach is that
of the few I asked most people would rather consciously choose to output
(and therefore read) an augmented dump with geo-loc info.

What say the list? bundle in geo-loc under the exiting TABLE_DUMP_v2 with an
additional subtype or have a specific FCFS type TABLE_DUMP_v2+GEO? I can go
either way on this.

Cheers
Terry