Re: [GROW] I-D Action: draft-ietf-grow-diverse-bgp-path-dist-05.txt

"George, Wesley" <wesley.george@twcable.com> Wed, 21 September 2011 20:19 UTC

From: "George, Wesley" <wesley.george@twcable.com>
To: "grow@ietf.org" <grow@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 16:22:16 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [GROW] I-D Action: draft-ietf-grow-diverse-bgp-path-dist-05.txt

I've read this draft. I'll note that I'm already in the acknowledgements section, but I can't find an on-list review that I wrote on this draft prior to this point unless I sent it privately to the authors, in which case I apologize if I'm retreading old discussion.
A nit regarding the acknowledgement - my first name is Wes, not George.

Some Nits
Abstract: %s/build/built in parallel, /co-exit/co-exist
Now that the draft is a WG doc, "..the authors believe..." (last sentence) can probably be removed (from intro section as well).

Intro: "other then best path" - suggest rewording to something like "secondary and tertiary paths" or "alternate paths which are not considered best path"

2. %s/"reduction of time of reachability restoration"/faster reachability restoration

Other stuff:
2.1 - when discussing overhead and scale concerns for add paths, perhaps a citation to 4984 would be appropriate? I've made similar comments to the SIDR folks, and I think generally anything that adds a non-trivial amount of impact to the growth curve of the routing system needs to consider this. Also, why is this citing implementation data from 2009? Is there now an implementation that supports add-paths, or is this just a holdover from earlier versions of the draft? If there is now an implementation, it would be good to revisit this section.

4. This asserts that no code changes are necessary to RR clients. I'm not sure I totally agree with that... If the idea is to have a primary (best) RR and then N additional paths, the general assumption is that the N, N1, ... RRs are carrying routes that are less and less preferred. How does this system avoid the same sort of inconsistency of best path choice among different routers in the network if there is no way to identify those paths as secondary? I think you need some way to determine if the alternate routes are intended to be ECMP routes or backup routes...
You may be able to cover this without code changes by using alternate configurations of other BGP preference indicators (MED, Localpref, metric, etc), perhaps with inbound route policy on the client or outbound on the RR, but since things like metric may be different based on where something is in the network, that may lead to inconsistency if used by itself. Even then, the draft doesn't discuss how this should be managed.

4.1 Also, there's a definite scaling consideration on the RR clients that isn't really discussed here - they are now going to be storing some number of additional routes and paths that is linearly related to the number of additional planes that are implemented. The addition of more RR sessions that presumably carry a portion of the full routing table now drives a non-trivial increase in memory footprint and processing overhead (and potentially convergence time for slower boxes). In the simplest case of 2 primary route-reflectors (for diversity), and 1 2nd-best path RR, you've added one session. If you want to carry a 3rd-best RR or have redundant 2nd-best RRs, you've added 4 sessions. It's fair to say that after a certain number of alternate paths, you start having less routes because there are only so many alternative exits, but otherwise there is a potentially large problem even if it's not quite as bad as addpaths.
I might recommend that you do some analysis of the routing table to know where this threshold makes a difference, based on how many alternate paths an average route carries. In addition to being a scaling consideration, it also helps to inform what value of N becomes diminishing returns because most networks don't have that many backup paths. I envision this being something like "80% of routes have 4 or less paths, so moving beyond 4 planes may add overhead without much benefit..."

Further scaling considerations occur in the core if the P routers must know about both the primary and secondary paths (and therefore peer/mesh with both R1 and R1'). You may be able to draw the conclusion that this is better than full mesh (5.1 #3) and therefore superior from a scaling perspective, but this at least needs to be discussed. It may be that the only way to avoid that particular issue is to operate with a BGP-free core...

It may be appropriate to add a separate scaling considerations discussion to your deployment considerations (section 6) to discuss some of the above.

There may be additional operational considerations from the perspective of route analysis - if you have either a homebuilt or off the shelf set of software that does route analysis for the purpose of event root-cause analysis, anomaly detection, capacity planning/failure analysis, etc, it has to be aware of these additional planes such that it returns the proper response when evaluating the routing table to determine what the expected behavior should be in the real network. This is especially important when it uses the table to determine how traffic will reroute during different failure scenarios. These tools may act like a participant in the mesh rather than a client in order to get a pure view of the table, and that may lead to undesired results if the multiple planes aren't taken into account. There may also be considerations for looking glass implementations and the actual information that is visible on the RRs and RR clients as the result of standard BGP show commands to aid in troubleshooting and verification.

Thanks,

Wes George