Re: [GROW] draft-ietf-grow-bgp-gshut

<bruno.decraene@orange.com> Mon, 26 June 2017 13:57 UTC

From: bruno.decraene@orange.com
To: Job Snijders <job@ntt.net>
CC: "grow@ietf.org" <grow@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2017 13:57:54 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.168.234.3]
Subject: Re: [GROW] draft-ietf-grow-bgp-gshut

Hi Job,

Thanks for the comments.
Please see inline [Bruno]

[Bruno] Will answer these technical points in separate threads.

 > The above changes would align with current operational practises, i've
 > learned from numerous people that they use AS-specific "lower LOCAL_PREF
 > as low as possible" communities from their peers and upstream providers
 > to trigger path hunting. In current deployments those communities are
 > often not stripped (in context of IBGP), and the lower LOCAL_PREF is set
 > on "ebgp-in" rather then "ibgp-out".
 >
 > Optionally an appendix with an actual router configuration can be
 > supplied, if there is interest in this I am happy to provide that.

[Bruno] I think this would be useful. (although CLI change over time)

 > -----
 > Suggestions:
 >
 > OLD Abstract:
 >    This draft describes operational procedures aimed at reducing the
 >    amount of traffic lost during planned maintenances of routers or
 >    links, involving the shutdown of BGP peering sessions.
 > NEW Abstract:
 >    This draft describes operational procedures aimed at reducing the
 >    amount of traffic lost during planned maintenances of routers or
 >    links, involving the shutdown of BGP peering sessions. Additionally
 >    this document describes the use of a well-known Border Gateway
 >    Protocol (BGP) community to signal that a graceful shutdown has been
 >    initiated for the tagged prefix.

[Bruno] OK. Slightly reworded as "It defines a well-known BGP community, called gshut, to signal the graceful shutdown of paths to other Autonomous Systems."

 > OLD (in introduction):
 >    Still, it explains why reserving a community value for the purpose of
 >    BGP session graceful shutdown would reduce the management overhead
 >    bound with the solution.  It would also allow vendors to provide an
 >    automatic graceful shutdown mechanism that does not require any
 >    router reconfiguration at maintenance time.
 > NEW (in introduction):
 >    This document defines a well-known community value for the purpose of
 >    reducing the management overhead of gracefully shutting down BGP
 >    sessions. The well-known community allows implementers to provide an
 >    automated graceful shutdown mechanism that does not require any
 >    router reconfiguration at maintenance time.

[Bruno] OK.

 > OLD (in Make before break convergence: g-shut):
 >    This section describes configurations and actions to be performed for
 >    the graceful shutdown of eBGP sessions, iBGP sessions or a whole BGP
 >    speaker.
 > NEW:
 >    This section describes configurations and actions to be performed for
 >    the graceful shutdown of BGP sessions.

[Bruno] OK.

 > OLD (in Pre-configuration):
 >    On each ASBR supporting the g-shut procedure, an outbound BGP route
 >    policy is applied on all iBGP sessions of the ASBR, that:
 >    o  matches the g-shut community
 >    o  sets the LOCAL_PREF attribute of the paths tagged with the g-shut
 >       community to a low value
 >    o  removes the g-shut community from the paths.
 >    o  optionally, adds an AS specific g-shut community on these paths to
 >       indicate that these are to be withdrawn soon.  If some ingress
 >       ASBRs reset the LOCAL_PREF attribute, this AS specific g-shut
 >       community will be used to override other LOCAL_PREF preference
 >       changes.
 > NEW (in Pre-configuration):
 >    On each ASBR supporting the g-shut procedure, an inbound BGP route
 >    policy is applied on all BGP sessions of the ASBR, that:
 >    o  matches the g-shut community
 >    o  sets the LOCAL_PREF attribute of the paths tagged with the g-shut
 >       community to a low value (a value of zero is recommended).

[Bruno] Change delayed, as related to the 2 technical points to be discussed in separate threads.

 > OLD (in Operations at maintenance time):
 >    On the g-shut initiator, upon maintenance time, it is required to:
 >    o  apply an outbound BGP route policy on the maintained eBGP session
 >       to tag the paths propagated over the session with the g-shut
 >       community.  This will trigger the BGP implementation to re-
 >       advertise all active routes previously advertised, and tag them
 >       with the g-shut community.
 >    o  apply an inbound BGP route policy on the maintained eBGP session
 >       to tag the paths received over the session with the g-shut
 >       community.
 >    o  wait for convergence to happen.
 >    o  perform a BGP session shutdown.
 > NEW (in Operations at maintenance time):
 >    On the g-shut initiator, upon maintenance time, it is required to:
 >    o  apply an outbound BGP route policy on the maintained EBGP session
 >       to tag the paths propagated over the session with the g-shut
 >       community. This will trigger the BGP implementation to re-
 >       advertise all active routes previously advertised, and tag them
 >       with the g-shut community.
 >    o  apply an inbound BGP route policy on the maintained EBGP session
 >       to tag the paths received over the session with the g-shut
 >       community and set a low LOCAL_PREF value.
 >    o  wait for convergence to happen.
 >    o  shutdown the EBGP session, optionally using [RFC-To-Be
 >       draft-ietf-idr-shutdown] to signal the reason of the shutdown.

[Bruno] Change delayed, as related to the 2 technical points to be discussed in separate threads.
Added text related to ID-shutdown

 > OLD (in BGP implementation support for g-Shut):
 >    1.  On the eBGP side, update all the paths propagated over the
 >        corresponding eBGP session, tagging the g-shut community to them.
 >        Any subsequent update sent to the session being gracefully shut
 >        down would be tagged with the g-shut community.
 >    2.  On the iBGP side, lower the LOCAL_PREF value of the paths
 >        received over the eBGP session being shut down, upon their
 >        propagation over iBGP sessions.  Optionally, also tag these paths
 >        with an AS specific g-shut community.
 > NEW (in BGP implementation support for g-Shut):
 >    1.  On the EBGP side, update all the paths propagated over the
 >        corresponding eBGP session, tagging the g-shut community to them.
 >        Any subsequent update sent to the session being gracefully shut
 >        down would be tagged with the g-shut community.
 >    2.  lower the LOCAL_PREF value of the paths received over the EBGP
 >        session being shut down.

[Bruno] Change delayed, as related to the 2 technical points to be discussed in separate threads.

 > OLD:
 > 7.  IANA assigned g-shut BGP community
 >    Applying the g-shut procedure is rendered much easier with the use of
 >    a single g-shut BGP community value [RFC1997] which could be used on
 >    all eBGP sessions, for both inbound and outbound signaling.  The
 >    community value 0xFFFF0000 has been assigned by IANA for this
 >    purpose.
 > 8.  IANA Considerations
 >    This document has no actions for IANA.
 > NEW:
 > 7.  IANA Considerations
 >    The IANA has assigned the value 0xFFFF0000 to the planned-shut
 >    community in the "BGP Well-known Communities" registry. IANA is
 >    requested to change the name planned-shut to GRACEFUL_SHUTDOWN.

[Bruno] OK. except that in this document, the name "g-shut" is used. (rather than GRACEFUL_SHUTDOWN). So using the name g-shut.

Kind regards,
--Bruno
 > ------
 >
 > Kind regards,