Re: [GROW] I-D Action:draft-ietf-grow-va-auto-03.txt

<bruno.decraene@orange-ftgroup.com> Mon, 21 March 2011 10:28 UTC

Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 11:30:12 +0100
From: bruno.decraene@orange-ftgroup.com
To: francis@mpi-sws.org, draft-ietf-grow-va-auto@tools.ietf.org
Cc: grow@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [GROW] I-D Action:draft-ietf-grow-va-auto-03.txt

Paul, all,

>   The can-suppress tag itself is an Extended Communities Attribute
>   [RFC4360] to be assigned by IANA

It seems like you only need a single community value for tagging a route as "can-suppress". But in the draft, it seems like your are requesting the IANA to allocate a whole extended community type which is equivalent to 2^48 or 2^56 values depending on the type being extended or regular.

If you indeed need a single value, one option would be to take one from the pool of Assigned extended communities which is defined in draft-ietf-idr-reserved-extended-communities-00.

> 3.  IANA Considerations
>   IANA must assign type values for the Extended Communities Attributes
>   that convey the tags.

IMO it would help readers if you could state the name of the IANA registry. Cf § 5.1 of RFC 5226 (Guidelines for Writing an IANA Considerations Section in RFCs).
For example, assuming that you take a value from draft-ietf-idr-reserved-extended-communities draft could states:

3.  IANA Considerations

IANA is requested to assign, from the registry "BGP Reserved non-transitive extended communities", a value TBD for
   "VA can suppress":

 Registry Name: BGP Reserved non-transitive extended communities

    Name                                               Type Value
    VA can suppress                                    TBD

Best regards,
Bruno