Re: [GROW] BMP @ IETF 106 Hackathon, GROW WG Feedback

Zhuangshunwan <zhuangshunwan@huawei.com> Tue, 19 November 2019 02:05 UTC

From: Zhuangshunwan <zhuangshunwan@huawei.com>
To: "Thomas.Graf@swisscom.com" <Thomas.Graf@swisscom.com>, "grow@ietf.org" <grow@ietf.org>
CC: "camilo@us.ntt.net" <camilo@us.ntt.net>, Christian Kuster <christian.kuster@huawei.com>, "Matthias.Arnold@swisscom.com" <Matthias.Arnold@swisscom.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2019 02:05:27 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.52.44.225]
Subject: Re: [GROW] BMP @ IETF 106 Hackathon, GROW WG Feedback

Greetings,

First of all, thank the BMP Hackathon team for doing a great job!

Regarding BMP Peer Up message (Further, we should include the BMP Peer Down message), the key point is how to handle the enable / disable monitoring of per Peer per afi/safi granularity.

For example, if there is a bgp peer session A, where the IPv4 unicast address family is successfully negotiated(IPv4 unicast address family Received & Sent).
Now we have 4 monitor options:

1)       pre-policy Adj-RIB-In

2)       post-policy Adj-RIB-In

3)       pre-Policy Adj-RIB-Out

4)       post-policy Adj-RIB-Out

Now the question comes:

1)       If we send only one BMP Peer Up message to BMP Sever, how to signal which monitor options are selected?

2)       When multiple options have been selected (The BMP server can infer it from the subsequently received BMP RM message), if we disable part of the monitoring options(e.g. disable post-policy Adj-RIB-Out from the 4 selected options), how to signal to the BMP Server that the monitored device will no longer send post-policy Adj-RIB-Out RM messages ?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Shunwan