Re: [GROW] Working Group Call for Adoption draft-francois-grow-bmp-loc-peer (start 24/Oct/2023 end 07/Nov/2023)

Paolo Lucente <paolo@ntt.net> Sat, 30 December 2023 19:19 UTC

Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 20:19:43 +0100
From: Paolo Lucente <paolo@ntt.net>
To: Jeffrey Haas <jhaas@pfrc.org>, Job Snijders <job=40fastly.com@dmarc.ietf.org>
Cc: grow@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [GROW] Working Group Call for Adoption draft-francois-grow-bmp-loc-peer (start 24/Oct/2023 end 07/Nov/2023)

Hi Jeff,

Picking up on your last comment, i agree error handling is currently
under-specified and would need an effort.

The broader question is: the TLV draft (draft-ietf-grow-bmp-tlv) sets a
generic framework, it tells about a few things that should/may/must
happen or not (like recursive grouping, bad; including index 0 in a
group, bad, etc.), and essentially delegates finer grained error
handling to the specific drafts implementing TLVs (also this is under
stated by the way).

A pro of this approach is fine tuning of error handling, essentially the
framework is not rigid and each draft implementing TLVs can define what
is legal and not legal. To your point, "what if NLRI index 5 is present
both in a group and individually and conflicting state is expressed",
probably in the context of draft-francois-grow-bmp-loc-peer this would
be a conflict but in the context of draft-ietf-grow-bmp-path-marking-tlv
that would be seen as an augmentation.

A con of this approach is that with the proliferation of TLV
implementations, each draft will set its own rules and this may lead to
repeated text, inconsistency, etc. It is a con, i total see it, although
for me it does not look like a solid one.

The opposite approach pretty much reverses the pros/cons above: we can
ensure consistency, avoid repeated text at the cost of a rigid scheme.
For me rigidity of the framework may have greater adverse effects than
potential inconsistency (if we do not pay attention to it while drafting).

Super open to thoughts and inputs.

Paolo