RE: [GSMP] 2nd WG Last Call for draft-ietf-gsmp-dyn-part-reqs

"Natale, Robert C (Bob)" <bnatale@lucent.com> Fri, 06 December 2002 17:57 UTC

From: "Natale, Robert C (Bob)" <bnatale@lucent.com>
To: gsmp@iesg.org
Subject: RE: [GSMP] 2nd WG Last Call for draft-ietf-gsmp-dyn-part-reqs
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2002 12:56:18 -0500
Sender: gsmp-admin@ietf.org

Hi,

I apologize if the questions/comments herein reflect
ignorance of preceding WG discussions...I decided to
take a look at the draft at this last call stage....

1.  I don't understand the rationale for this limitation
of PMs and SEs (from the Introduction section):

"There is a one-to-many relationship between PMs and SEs."

...Especially in light of the many-to-many relationships
between PMs and Controllers and Controllers and Partitions.

...And additionally in light of the following two statements
referring to multiple PM considerations (from Intro and
Security, respectively):

"Likewise, there may be multiple partition managers
running on a single management workstation."

"Only authorized PMs MUST be allowed to dynamically
repartition a SE."

2.  How is the "one-to-many" PM to SE relationship
enforced in the protocol?

3.  The Security Considerations section is actually quite
good in the sense of identifying some important protocol
issues (which is something you don't always see).  However,
that very quality raises the question of why aren't these
issues dealt with in the protocol prior to going to Last
Call?  I don't mean to be harsh here...it's outstanding
that the issues have been identified and documented here...
but then why not deal with them?  Or, can it be explained
that they (some/all) must be resolved outside the protocol
itself?  Again, I apologize if my ignorance of past WG
discussions is a factor here.

3.  I suggest adding a definition for "Partition Manager"
to the otherwise very helpful list of defined terms already
included.

Cheers,

BobN
- - - - -