[hackathon] IETF103 Hackathon --- the weekend after?

Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca> Sat, 21 July 2018 22:30 UTC

From: Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>
To: ietf@ietf.org
cc: hackathon <hackathon@ietf.org>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2018 18:30:48 -0400
Subject: [hackathon] IETF103 Hackathon --- the weekend after?

I understand that the IEEE meeting will be located in the same
hotel/conference center as IETF103, the week afterwards.
There is a desire to foster more collaboration between IEEE and IETF.

I want to suggest that we consider moving the Hackathon from the
Saturday/Sunday before IETF103, to the Saturday/Sunday afterwards,
such that it is now sandwiched between IETF and IEEE meetings.

I recognize that perhaps it's too late to rejig this, and there are issues
relating to the network infrastructure, hotel bookings, and the like.

I suggest the following points:
  a) We might attract IEEE-types to the Hackathon.

  b) We will give a reason for IETF-types to remain in Bangkok after IETF,
     in order to mix with IEEE-types.

  c) The Hackathon has now made the week 7 days for sure: arrive Friday
     morning, stay until Friday afternoon.  Few who come for the Hackathon
     are going to stay another weekend and attend IEEE, unless they already
     do stay.
     Moving the Hackthon means people could arrive Sunday and depart on
     the following Sunday or Monday.  Same number of hotel nights, but more
     overlap.

  d) Without something on the weekend between IETF and IEEE, there are likely
     to be no additional interactions,

  e) the Friday unstructured time experiment might actually work.

One might also contemplate starting the Hackathon on Friday or Friday
afternoon, possibly finishing earlier on Sunday.

 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-