[hackathon] RIOT + CCN-lite: 'ICN in IoT' Hackathon Project

Cenk Gündoğan <list-ietf@cgundogan.de> Tue, 11 July 2017 17:44 UTC

Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2017 19:44:38 +0200
From: Cenk Gündoğan <list-ietf@cgundogan.de>
To: hackathon@ietf.org
Subject: [hackathon] RIOT + CCN-lite: 'ICN in IoT' Hackathon Project

Dear fellow Hackathonians,

We will be working on Information-Centric Networking (ICN) for the IoT.
Similar to the work of 6lo, 6lowpan, core and lwig working groups, we
want to prototype an adaptation layer for Named Data Networking (NDN)
and Content-Centric Networking (CCN) to low power and lossy networks.

More specifically, our focus for this hackathon is on:

1) Compression:

a) name compression
    Variable length names are carried along in each message in the
    network. We want to sketch a stateless compression scheme inspired
    by 6LoWPAN-GHC [1].

b) CCN / NDN protocol header compression
    By defining a strategy and reasonable default values for certain
    protocol fields, these fields can potentially be stripped from the
    protocol header. Similar work was done for 6LoWPAN with IPv6 header
    compression [2].

2) Fragmentation support:
Fragmentation is needed especially for link layer technologies with
small-sized MTUs, which is common in IoT. Recent work on this topic
exists in [3].

RIOT [4] will be used to prototype on constrained devices equipped with as
little as 32 KiB RAM and 128 KiB ROM. A CCN-lite [5] port to RIOT exists.

Champions:
    - Claudio Marxer (UNIBAS, CCN-lite)
    - Christopher Scherb (UNIBAS, CCN-lite)
    - Cenk Gündoğan (HAW Hamburg, RIOT)

Everyone is invited to join our discussions and to get their hands dirty
with available resource-limited devices! (:

Cheers,
Cenk

[1] https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7400
[2] https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6282
[3] https://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-mosko-icnrg-beginendfragment-02.html
[4] http://riot-os.org/
[5] http://ccn-lite.net/

--
Cenk Gündoğan

Hamburg University of Applied Sciences
Dept. of Computer Science / Internet Technologies Group
Berliner Tor 7, 20099 Hamburg, Germany
Fon: +49 40 42875 - 8426
Mail: cenk.guendogan@haw-hamburg.de
Web: https://www.inet.haw-hamburg.de/