Re: [HASMAT] draft IETF-78 agenda to be posted Thu 24-Jun

Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im> Thu, 01 July 2010 02:20 UTC

Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 20:20:22 -0600
From: Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im>
To: Thomas Hardjono <ietf@hardjono.net>
Cc: hasmat@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [HASMAT] draft IETF-78 agenda to be posted Thu 24-Jun

On 6/25/10 1:06 PM, Thomas Hardjono wrote:
> Peter,
>
> Some questions:
>
> (a) Will there be Webex, in addition to Jabber and the usual audio.

Typically Webex has been used only for remote presenters. Do we have any
of those? Furthermore, recently the IESG decided to discourage even that
usage, instead preferring that someone who needs to present remotely
could find someone who will be there in person to present the slides.
The basic problem is that we have not succeeded in overcoming the A/V
challenges of interfacing audio from a large physical room into a web
conferencing service like Webex.

In the absence of Webex, you'll need to listen to the audio stream and
ask someone in the chat room to relay your questions at the mic. I
realize that's less than ideal, but it's better than fumbling around
with A/V equipment and not getting that to work. I'll make sure that we
have "relayers" in the chatrooms for appsarea working group sessions and
BoFs.

> (b) Any chance of getting an evening slot (which is still daytime in the US and morning in Japan).

The schedule is *very* full and it has been difficult to overcome all
the conflicts -- not to mention finding "ideal" times for various
sessions. Right now HASMAT is scheduled for Monday 1740-1940 -- I think
(the schedule has changed a *lot* and might change again as we try to
work through the remaining conflicts). But I'll see what I can do.

Peter