Re: [HASMAT] VeriSign feedback/comments on STS

=JeffH <Jeff.Hodges@KingsMountain.com> Mon, 12 July 2010 05:05 UTC

Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2010 22:05:12 -0700
From: =JeffH <Jeff.Hodges@KingsMountain.com>
To: "Deacon, Alex" <alex@verisign.com>
Cc: IETF HASMAT list <hasmat@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [HASMAT] VeriSign feedback/comments on STS

I've submitted   draft-hodges-strict-transport-sec-02.  I believe I addressed
all of the outstanding items remaining in my original reply to your comments
(attached further below). Here's the change log from -02..

Appendix B.  Change Log

       Changes from -01 to -02:

       1.   updated abstract such that means for expressing HSTS Policy
            other than via HSTS header field is noted.

       2.   Changed spec title to "HTTP Strict Transport Security (HSTS)"
            from "Strict Transport Security".  Updated use of "STS"
            acronym throughout spec to HSTS (except for when specifically
            discussing syntax of Strict-Transport-Security HTTP Response
            Header field), updated "Terminology" appropriately.

       3.   Updated the discussion of "Passive Network Attackers" to be
            more precise and offered references.

       4.   Removed para on normative/non-normative from "Conformance
            Criteria" pending polishing said section to IETF RFC norms.

       5.   Added examples subsection to "Syntax" section.

       6.   Added OWS to maxAge production in Strict-Transport-Security
            ABNF.

       7.   Cleaned up explanation in the "Note:" in the "HTTP-over-
            Secure-Transport Request Type" section, folded 3d para into
            "Note:", added conformance clauses to the latter.

       8.   Added explanatory "Note:" and reference to "HTTP Request
            Type" section.  Added "XXX1" issue.

       9.   Added conformance clause to "URI Loading".

       10.  Moved "Notes for STS Server implementors:" from "UA
            Implementation advice " to "HSTS Policy expiration time
            considerations:" in "Server Implementation Advice", and also
            noted another option.

       11.  Added cautionary "Note:" to "Ability to delete UA's cached
            HSTS Policy on a per HSTS Server basis".

       12.  Added some informative references.

       13.  Various minor editorial fixes.

<snip/>