[Hipsec-rg] HIP experiments

miika at iki.fi (Miika Komu) Fri, 27 October 2006 09:53 UTC

From: "miika at iki.fi"
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 12:53:40 +0300
Subject: [Hipsec-rg] HIP experiments

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006, Henderson, Thomas R wrote:

>> i) experimental requirements.  What are we trying to accomplish with
>> experiments?  Can we sketch out the experiments that need to be
>> conducted and the data that need to be gathered?  There should be more
>> than one experiment, and it might be productive to define
>> them in small
>> chunks so that the task is more approachable by the
>> community.  We ought
>> to establish some milestones and have some discussion to refine the
>> approaches.
>
> Let me start by describing some broad categories of experiments that I
> envision.  I'd like to hear feedback on whether people already have
> conducted or plan to soon conduct experiments on these topics, and what
> other topics should be included.  Please provide pointers to published
> experimental results.

Some miscellaneous pointers and comments below.

http://www.jokela.org/publications/iswcs04.pdf
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-sugimoto-multihome-shim-api-00.txt

http://www.ambient-networks.org/publications/Protocol_Enhancements_for_Intermittently_Connected_Hosts_0507.pdf
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-sarolahti-tsvwg-crosslayer-00.txt

> 2) Security.  I have heard at least one HIP proponent suggest that the
> main benefit of locating HIP at the network layer was to protect the
> network layer against attacks on the bindings for mobility and
> multihoming.  Is there evidence of stronger security than, for instance,
> other techniques for mobility and multihoming such as mobile IP and
> various multihoming techniques previously categorized by the multi6
> working group?  Do we have any experimental or operational evidence that
> HIP (e.g. SIGMA handshake) provides better security for public servers
> than do other approaches that have been deployed, such as SYN cookies?
> How about for clients?  Return routability checks also exist for mobile IP,
> for instance.

I would add TLS to the comparison list. Also, there is a very initial
draft in BTNS wg:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-komu-btns-api-00.txt

> 3) IPv6 transition.  Because HIP allows for roaming across address
> families, it has been suggested as a mechanism to improve transition to
> IPv6.  This technique has been demonstrated at previous HIP meetings;
> has this been experimentally validated or has there been any more work
> along these lines?

InfraHIP has one post-grad student working on this topic. In general, the
application and network layer address family independence eases transition
towards IPv6, but first one should transition to HIP :) I believe that the
identity/locator split can slow down transition towards IPv6 because the
new namespace of HIP can extend the lifetime of NATted architectures:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-schmitt-hip-nat-traversal-02.txt

(I am in no way advocating the use of NATs; they add complexity to all
protocols but IPv6 is not here yet to wash away all of the NATs)

> 4) New architectures.  There have been a number of architectural and
> protocol proposals that accomplish some of the basic goals of HIP yet
> without requiring any use of HIP in the network stack.  For example, the
> NUTSS architecture

Regarding to SIP-HIP integration:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-tschofenig-hiprg-host-identities-04.txt

> -> Costs:  What are the operational costs of deploying HIP on a wide
> scale, including costs on implementation complexity, new or modified
> infrastructure, and operations, administration, and management (OA&M)?

Two publications in progress related to this.

> 7) NAT traversal.  How well does HIP NAT traversal work?  Researchers
> working on NAT traversal have explicitly tested their techniques on a
> large sample of commercially-available NATs, and published the results.
> Has anyone done this for HIP?  What are the costs in terms of
> implementation complexity or server infrastructure needed for hole
> punching?

Work in progress. Lauri Silvennoinen has almost completed the NAT
implementation that covers base exchange (initiator and responder can be
behind NAT). Better NAT mobility and multihoming specification work is
also work in progress.

> 8) Non-routable addresses in applications.  Some existing HIP
> implementations (and many other overlay implementations outside of HIP)
> use modified resolvers to return quantities in DNS responses that are
> not IP addresses.  For instance, it is possible to return HITs instead
> of IPv6 addresses, to allow for non-HIP-aware applications to use HIP.
> Many people have objected in principle to this practice, claiming that
> it will break certain applications (such as ones that do referrals).
> Yet, the anecdotal claims by people who have adopted this implementation
> style are generally that everything works reliably.  Can we start to
> more systematically track what types of applications are prone to
> problems with this implementation approach?  Or is this concern really a
> non-issue in practice?

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-henderson-hip-applications-03.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-komu-shim-native-api-00.txt
http://www.iki.fi/miika/docs/f17-komu.pdf

There is some on going work regarding to these issues in InfraHIP.

http://infrahip.hiit.fi/papers/niklas_dippa.pdf

> 10) HIP-aware middleboxes.  Researchers have suggested that future
> middleboxes could become HIP-aware and offer better control of network
> policy based on endpoint identification.  Do we have experience on the
> costs to the middleboxes and other policy management infrastructure to
> support these extensions?  Do we have any deployment experiences here?

Some work related to this is in progress in InfraHIP.

--
Miika Komu                                       http://www.iki.fi/miika/