[Hipsec-rg] Hierarchical HITs

xuxh at huawei.com (Xu Xiaohu) Thu, 22 January 2009 03:27 UTC

From: "xuxh at huawei.com"
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 11:27:29 +0800
Subject: [Hipsec-rg] Hierarchical HITs

[please skip the previous email]

Oleg.

Does every host in HIP architecture need a FQDN? (btw, there  were similar
threads in RRG,see  http://www.ops.ietf.org/lists/rrg/2008/msg02050.html)

If the access control is based on HIT, the firewall maybe need to maintain
an ACL with a huge amount of flat HIT entries. If the access control is
based on domain name , it will need
to do lookup to resolve each HIT to FQDN in order to determine the domain
name.  Both of them mean a huge burden on firewalls. Besides, the latter
will aslo introduce a DDoS attack risk.

With hierarchical HIT(Adminstrative Domain(AD) ID+ Hash (public key+AD ID)),
the firewall can simply do access control based on the AD ID.

Xiaohu