Re: [Hipsec] The HIT prefix once again

Pekka Nikander <pekka.nikander@nomadiclab.com> Mon, 01 August 2005 13:53 UTC

From: Pekka Nikander <pekka.nikander@nomadiclab.com>
Subject: Re: [Hipsec] The HIT prefix once again
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 15:52:43 +0200
To: Francis Dupont <Francis.Dupont@enst-bretagne.fr>
Cc: gabriel montenegro <gabriel_montenegro_2000@yahoo.com>, hipsec@ietf.org, Bob Hinden <bob.hinden@nokia.com>
Sender: hipsec-bounces@lists.ietf.org

Bob,

Do you want me to put up a slide or two on this at the end of the
IPv6 WG tomorrow?  Or would it be better to have a more compelling
draft (than the one by Francis) first?

Francis,

I finally had time to read your draft, http://www.ietf.org/internet-
drafts/draft-dupont-ipv6-cgpref-01.txt   I think you need to have
reference to a document that defines how GCIDs are supposed to be
used; I didn't see any.  Alone I don't see how you draft would make a
compelling case.

However, going more to the technical level, we may want to share the
exactly same name space.

AFAICT, the HITs and CBIDs are formed as follows:

    HIT = prefix | encode(hash(public key))

   CBID = prefix | encode(hash(any string))

where, in both cases, there prefix defines the 'encode' and 'hash'
functions used.  In the HIT case the public key must be understood
from the context, and AFAICT in the CBID case the "any string" must
also be understood from the context.  It also looks like that we can
use the exactly same 'encode' and 'hash' functions, as the
requirements for them are the same.  Initially, we would apparently
be just taking the low order bits of the hash as the encoding and use
SHA1 as the hash function.  Or do you have different requirements?

Now, based on that we could share the exactly same name space, i.e.,
just have a single prefix.  One potential complication is that it is
much easier to generate arbitrary strings than even short public
keys.  However, based on my strawperson analysis, that doesn't matter
since HIP, by default, expects the HIT to be a hash of a public key
and does not accept anything else.  Hence, the fact that arbitrary
strings are easier to generate that public keys doesn't matter.

The biggest difference seems to be on our needs w.r.t the time frame
for the assignment.  I really think that a temporary assignment with
the default of the assignment going back by, say, 2009, would be
better.  In that way that space does not keep assigned if the
experimentation fails and it is not used.  On the other hand, if any
efforts using the space succeed and the space is being used, the
space is there and can be used.

Hence, I think we can go for asking a single shared address space.
My proposal is to go for a proposal that says:

   Assign a /5 provisionally for this use, with the next 3 bits reserved
   for the case that the existing hash algorithm fails, resulting in
   /8 which is the only part that gets assigned at this time.

   If the IPv6 WG feels that assigning a /5 or /8 is too much, then we
   just need to live with that and live with the lower security level.

As I said during the f2f meeting, I am planning to write a short
draft on this in the near future but would really appreciate help.

--Pekka