Protocol type for HIP -- was -- Re: [Hipsec] Moving the base specforward

yogesh.swami@acm.org (Yogesh Prem Swami) Mon, 13 September 2004 23:00 UTC

From: yogesh.swami@acm.org
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 23:00:02 +0000
Subject: Protocol type for HIP -- was -- Re: [Hipsec] Moving the base specforward

--------------enig0BB310B09BA5983BCAE4B2A8

Hi Tom,

Please see inline:

ext Henderson, Thomas R wrote:
> continuing inline below...

I too would've preferred a new "only SPI; nothing more" extension
header, with the possibly of managing SPI to IP address binding/update
secure.

> I don't think that I understand fully your objection.  If you are
> arguing that HIP exchange should run over UDP instead of raw IP,
> there may be value in that in terms of traversing middleboxes-- but
> I don't think that is the basis of your objection to a new protocol
> type value.

I guess I was responding to Peeka's comment (at the start of this
e-mail) that HIP key exchange is needed at IP layer because all traffic
uses this new protocol. In reality, this is not true, because all
traffic goes over ESP (which in itself is sufficient to demultiplex
connections, HIP or not). So HIP key exchange in reality is a SPI (SA in
case of ESP) management protocol.

So I was suggestion to move HIP key exchange to UDP (as SHOULD) and
probably IP as MAY, if people feel strongly about keeping it at IP.

Thanks
Yogesh